Eliminate steelhead fishing?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by BFK, Nov 9, 2010.

1. BFK Member

North Sound, Wash.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    No due diligence on this as time is tight, but:

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2010/11/06/1240303/state-proposes-hunting-fishing.html#ixzz14iyeGyV6

"The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is facing a $10 million to $20 million shortfall in state General Fund money plus about a $10 million reduction in the state Wildlife Account, which mostly comes from license revenue, in the 2011-13 budget cycle.

Phil Anderson, department director, said cuts might include 20 wildlife enforcement jobs, closure of seven to 11 fish hatcheries, elimination of steelhead fishing in Puget Sound tributaries and closure of some of the agency's 700 public access areas."

Contact info below – let him know how you feel!

Contact the Director

Mailing Address
    600 Capitol Way N.
    Olympia, WA 98501-1091

Phone: 360-902-2225
    Fax: 360-902-2947
    director@dfw.wa.gov
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,700 / 2
    My life is about to take a serious turn for the worse
  3. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +750 / 2
    Time to marry a Canadian gal!
  4. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    We'll if you're not using it, can I borrow your new boat? I still like fishing for troots.....
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,724 / 0
    Fishing as you all know it will soon come to an end. If they close all those hatcheries they are talking about, they will also quit planting lakes. Enjoy eating all of them farm raised fish. Zombies in other words.
  6. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    Hey, Evan. I found this for you.

LINK
  7. Leopardbow Member

Ferndale, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Done :thumb:

I don't know where this idea of closing tribs came for but definetly interested in hearing his reasoning / discussion and which tribs have been idenified.

My guess with the potential of cutting 20 LE jobs, which is beyond me, closure of tribs must be an enfocement issue.
  8. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    My guess is this is typical manipulative bullshit - like when politicians say if we don't approve the next levy they will have to layoff police and firemen. Cutting fishing in the tribs and hatcheries will reduce revenue more than the cost savings so he is posturing to drum up support.
  9. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    Explore Washington pass? Who, honestly, is going to pay for that other than hunters and fishermen? Who, other than us, when we purchase our new license or tags, will even know that it exists? Enforcement is stretched too thin as it is, without having to check every DNR road spur for people who didn't buy the pass. I'd have to juggle my Northwest Forest Pass, my Vehicle Access Pass, and My explore Washington Pass?

"Anderson said the pass would cost $5 for hunting or fishing license buyers and $40 for others age 18 and older."
    -So it's cheaper to buy an unnecessary fishing license and an Explore Washington Pass, than it would be to purchase the pass as a non-fishermen or non-hunter? Ha.

Not to start anything political, but I really wonder why they announced all of the budget shortfalls after the election. And more notably, after 1098 failed. Maybe this is one of the many "I told you so's?"
  10. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +55 / 1
    Smart man, that East Fork.
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,506 / 9
    I bet this is a good guess, and if it is, poaching will be rampant because folks will still break out their fly rods, gear rods or whatever they have and fish with no enforcement watching.
  12. Jim Riggins Member

Battle Ground, Wa.
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I agree with East Fork. Kind of like levi's in the Battle Ground School District. If you don't pass the levi we'll no longer be able to supply busses for all the kids so the parents will have to find a way to get them to school, and oh ya school will start at 7 am and get out at 2:30. right when most parents are at work. Extortion I call it! I find this kind of funny, I have fished for all most 50yrs in SW Wa. and can only remember being checked TWICE! Once a couple yrs ago on the upper East Fork of the Lewis and the other was a couple weeks ago when Jason and his northern bunch met me at the Kalama up in the canyon by a creel checker. Paul what's you're take on this?
  13. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,700 / 2
    Difference is: The general public will do anything for "the children." Nobody but us fishermen give two shits about steelhead.

14. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    drum up support for what though? There's no WDFW levy. I can understand that he would be explaining to the public why the license hikes are necessary, but I don't think that he's being manipulative. By threatening steelhead fishing, it only affects us. I don't think he's trying to drum up support, so much as quell any feelings of animosity toward the WDFW for raising license fees. The other options listed are kind of ridiculous. The only viable answer is probably to raise license fees. I think he's just trying to prevent people from screaming "mismanagement" and saying, "&*%$ it, I'm not going to give them any more money this year; I haven't been checked in 10 years." Or,maybe he's not actually that evil, but just feels a responsibility to justify increases.
  15. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +750 / 2
    Fund 1% for the arts, self cleaning bathrooms which have been removed and were already proven as a great place for prostitution and drug dealing in San Fran, multi-million dollar housing for drunks (sorry, not pc), the SLUT which carries nobody and screwed up traffic terribly, a monorail from Ballard to W Seattle which already has excellent bus service, 49 million dollar computer system which was scrapped because it didn't work (nobody fired over that fiasco, Ron Simms gets promoted to DC), etc. That's just Seattle, not state funding.

They never threaten to shut down non essential services because they know it won't cause us bleeding harts to pony up for them. They always use essential services as the hostage when trying to generate more revenue.
  16. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    If they really want to close something to save costs & enforcement time, why don't they target the freshwater salmon fisheries instead. I see more resource abuse and law breaking in one day during fall salmon season than an entire season of steelhead fishing. Not saying i support either option, but if they are truly looking for a fallout, this is where i would start.
  17. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    As if the O.P. rivers aren't crowded enuff already. I'll bet the Forks motel lobby is behind this, sensing a waning of the vampire wave.

I'd pay a little more to keep things open. I've been a proponent of user fees in the past.
  18. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +871 / 0
    more than likely is the fact that if there are no hatchery fish in PS rivers, there is no way to justify a fishing season on esa listed fish.

i'm not in agreement with that reasoning entirely, but i bet that has more to do with it than law enforcement.

it's too bad they couldn't go after hatcheries on rivers with wild stocks and habitat where one could still have fisheries. while shutting down hatcheries like the bogachiel/calawah, sol duc, and snyder creek would cause some hurt, it would be far less than shutting down all puget sound hatcheries.

of course, the department is looking for PS area politicians to come to the rescue to save their hatchery jobs and funding instead of looking for cuts that could not only save money, but help wild fish and have less impact on fisheries.
  19. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Funny, according to their website, they are still hiring.
  20. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    Get past all the emotional knee jerk over reactions. The election decided what options managers will have for funding. With tax and rate hikes off the table, they make their projections based on what they know they will have to spend, rather than on contingencies. It's now just arithmetic rather than politics.

Washington voters have decided not to fund the quality of life we enjoyed in the past. Things are tough all over, so if money isn't available from the general fund, we're just going to have to figure out how to pay to play.

Politicians tell us that if we don't provide funding for public services: police, firemen, teachers, fishing, they'll have to lay them off because that's where the money comes from, and those people don't work for free.

Do you?