Eliminate steelhead fishing?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by BFK, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    If they continue closing rivers to Steelhead fishing they should make release of Wild Steelhead mandatory statewide. They should have done that anyway as the closures in recent years just shifted the angler pressure (including new guides) to the few remaining runs, mostly on the Olympic Peninsula rivers. The results have been very bad. If they had maintained the fish for "maximum sustained spawning" the fish would have had a chance. As it stands the ESA listings on Puget Sound fish should have been applied long ago. As far as I am concerned the management of our fisheries hasd always been a political football and the science has always been on the bench. Closing Steelhead fishing would be the best thing for the fish at this point.

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    At least a candy bar is cheaper now.

3. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    WA spent $549,400,000.00 on education for illegal immirants in 2004.

4. The Quan

The Quan member

Media:
    Well......I can take you point blank if they do that I will be fishing year round. This state has f***ed everything as it is !! They have done nothing but get themselves into financial trouble and this is the result !! Pathetic solutions to everything. Even some of the " fish Habitat projects have been a total waste of money. Always the small guy being punished.

This is the liberal way that has run this state into the ground ! Spend your way into trouble and then threaten new proposals to " punish" you, so they can get their money anyway.

Try cutting some OVERPAID GOVERMENT JOBS FIRST !

Why not create a year round catch and release pass ! I have been thinking about that for years. I would buy one. I know tons of people that would. That right there would create a ton of revenue and probably could add enforcement instead of remove it !! Helloooo !!!! Earth to washinton state .........Earth to washinton state................

So go ahead and eliminate another fishery for the small sport guy............I dare ya , I will be fishing all year round . It will be great NO enforcement . Hardly anybody to compete with for fish. Talk about first water !!! Whoooo Hoooooo !!!!!!! :thumb:

5. BFK

BFK Member

Manipulative is my take on it. The Department screams about closing hatcheries or eliminating LE, and we scream at our legislators (really, that's an excellent idea), and "somehow" the money is found somewhere. It's all gamesmanship. It's very similar to what happened in Oregon with Eagle Creek. Threaten to close it, and if enough people complain, the money is found.

I believe that the state needs to take a good look at its operations and start trimming the nonessentials that don't generate revenue. Fishing does as has been proven before. So does hunting. But does protecting the pygmy cottontail in the scrublands generate revenue for example? There are a lot of areas where state government can cut without affecting its primary mission at all.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So is imported sparkling spring water. You know thats important.

7. PT

PT Physhicist

Washington voters recently voted the same way they have for the past 20+ years. And we continue to do so even when we're lied to and see no real changes for the better. When the economy is booming nobody really pays attention. But, "us" not giving "them" enough $ is always the excuse when the s**t hits the fan. When you have a governor who walks the picket line with Boeing workers it says alot about the priorities around here. Hmmmmmm. Boeing did relocate many of their jobs to other states after that. Sorry to get political but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

8. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    Well said.

9. StillyD

StillyD New Member

One of the most heated initiatives I've ever seen in washington was I-695, I believe it was 1998, the initiative made all car tabs $30. At the time higher end cars could run upwards of $5000 just for tabs. The government fought tooth and nail to defeat it, even the governor made a commercial. Public transit and ferrys would disappear, and road construction would be drastically reduced they promised. It passed and none of that happened, so yes, false threats do occur. Of course "things" were a lot better then, so it's hard to tell.

10. BFK

BFK Member

And remember how long the actual $30 fee lasted? Just long enough-- before additional taxes and fees were imposed.

It's no wonder the tax votes went the way they did. The legislature doesn't listen, and the voters are tired of it.

11. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Well, the voters didnt pass funds for the new stadium years ago, and they did it anyways. Then they imposed all kinds of new taxes to help pay for it.
    I personally don't give a shit about those stadiums, and wish that those funds would have gone to something with much more overall community value.
    (I realize I will get flamed by sports fans for saying this)

12. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Net positive revenue. Whether you like sports or not, making money is the reason they did it.

13. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    The state should raise the 'Out Of State' fee just like a few other post have said... Tax the 'Out of Staters' 100% and let us fish for free :thumb:

14. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

close more hatcheries and keep the enforcement!!!!!!

15. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I worked in the building trade during that time and I-695 was really bad for those of us that did road work. It cost us Hundreds of millions of dollars in fed matching funds cause we had no state hiway money, and along with that thousands of good paying jobs directly, not to mention the down stream effects.

16. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    As stated before no hatchery fish in puget sound no fishery. They will not even allow a catch and release fishery on esa listed fish. The only thing that has kept us fishing this long is the hatchery fish. Very little enforcement will be needed when everything is shut down. For all those against hatchery fish your wish might be coming true. However you will have to go else where to enjoy the awesome sport that is fishing. Hopefully the state is bluffing but I really don't know. They have already closed hatcheries in recent years and cut back on hatchery production so who is to say they don't close it down completely. I guess it's to the coast or the columbia tribs.

17. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    The Nutsack, Sky etc is to close Feb 15 this year. Jan 31 after that with hatchery fish. The Skagit could stay open for C&R if runs rebound. Essentially, wild fish forecasts are above escapement for several years, then ther their is a chance fo a season.

I moved 3,000 miles to fish for steelhead. I even further have specialized (variable success) on winter fish. This potential closure is tough.

The real deal is that as a winter steelheader, I fish for wild fish. Hatchery fish are reluctant to bite swinging flies. Hatchery fish also return at about 1% or below. Only the Sky has a return at all really. Honestly, I can't justify leaving home (and the small chance that my wife will take a liking to me that day) to fish for a non-biting, non-existant hatchery fish. I'm not losing out on much at this point if they follow through.

Hatchery fish may very well have an effect on wild fish. We know very little of what effects they may have. Honestly, ending plants can't hurt.

Hatchery fish are expensive. 79 fish returned to Kendall on the Nookie last year 2-3 hundy were caught. Let's all guess the cost per fish. Come on fiscal conservatives, what say you?

I say close 'em down. Allow C&R if estimates are above escapement with a margin of error built in.

Hatcheries also allow for a net harvest of early wild fish. Do we want that to continue?

Go Sox,
    cds

18. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Maybe it's time we all took a deep breath and thought long and hard about what is important here. Steelhead and salmon are iconic species in the northwest, most people agree they should be saved from extinction, but how? Should we lay blame at a particular groups feet, while the other groups clammer for a bigger slice of a dwindling pie? Or should we take stock in our own actions and accept the collective blame we all deserve for the lack of political and social will to do what is best for the fish? The latter, I think, is the most mature course of action. Let us get off our collective butts and do what is best for the fish. If that is closure, then so be it. But we had better hurry, cuz we're burnin day light!

19. stilly stalker

Wildcat seelheaders club already pays for almost all the feed for the steelhead at Kendall creek.THE STATE DOES NOT! The water is well origin, and nearly free. The steelhead cost the state very little. Maintnance of the spring chinook run is Kendalls top priority
    Lets definitely continue to do what we can, but lets also make a big push to make our co managers accountable for the status of our ESA listed stocks that they harvest. From what I have seen in person, they have very little accountability for the numbers they harvest

20. stilly stalker

Quit buying steelhead in stores. When the market for it is reduced, the incentive to harvest it will be reduced as well