Elk River BC - Short Visit

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Stew McLeod, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +86 / 0
    Well every time I drive back home to Calgary AB, I drive right through Fernie BC and feel compelled to fish for at least a couple of hours, this trip was no exception.

Hit Fernie around 10:00 AM on a Friday afternoon. From watching some fish reports I knew that there was no hurry getting on the water before noon, hence may late arrival.

Hit my favorite fly shop in the town (Elk River Guiding Company) to get license and daily access permit - and of course some flies.

Hit the river promptly at noon and fished the section of the river I know. It was kind of chilly (took awhile for Gink to liquefy) so no action on top. I changed from a dry fly to a pink wolly bugger. Proceeded to toss this through a nice little hole and landed 4 nice fish within 30 minutes or so.

Here is a picture of one of them:
    [IMG]

Left that hole since I kind of fished it out. Moved to another deep hole I know and started chucking the bugger again - no luck. Noticed some fish starting to rise so quickly switched to dry flies again (which frankly are the most fun on the Elkk anyway).

Fished hard until about 5 PM and landed 4 more fish on the surface. All caught with a variety of flies - from a large stimulator to a size 16 BWO. Here are a couple of shots of them, these are the two largest of the day:

[IMG]

and ...

[IMG]

My quick visit was now over. 5 hours on the Elk, but worth every penny spent on license and the water access fee.

Here are a couple of shots of the location I was fishing:

a shot upstream:
    [IMG]

a couple of shots downstream:

[IMG]

and

[IMG]

I hope to spend more time there next summer.

Stew
  2. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    hmm .. the pictures did not come in ...
  3. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Well can't figure out how to embed the pictures so here is a link to my picasa site:

..deleted link since pictures now embedded.
  4. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +831 / 0
    I fished the Elk a few weeks ago, and despite some vandalism by some locals, really enjoyed the river, the town, and the cutts. Especially the cutts.
  5. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +336 / 0
    Nice photos Stew. I fished it a few years back in late September and also enjoyed the area and fish. The river was up a lot when I was there as there had been a lot of rain, but still got some fish. The trib's were good too.
    August of '09 we drove through on our way to Alberta to fish. I was amazed at the float traffic on the Elk. A big increase from last time I was there.
  6. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Agreed about the float traffic. I found the trick is to fish 7-9 miles downstream of Fernie and the rafts seem to drop of dramatically. I hope to do the tribs next year when I plan on staying 7-10 days in the area.

Stew
  7. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +336 / 0
    Stew,

I can see by your Avatar that you can deal with some pain! You probably already know this, but if you venture into some of those trib's next year do carry bear spray!