Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Elkhorn Bamboo 4 wgt.

Bamboo 
1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Kent Lufkin 
#1 ·
While visiting the Bellevue show and watching Randy Diefert tie his incredible flies I wandered over to the Elkhorn Rod booth. There was a nice little 4 wgt "Boo rod that seemed to be calling my name. I've never cast a cane rod, nor have I ever really wanted to own one. After a little time on the casting pool with it, my wife said if I wanted a Bamboo rod, then I deserved it, so I decided I'd take it home with me.

It's a 7'6" two piece 4wgt with the Elkhorn MA-1 reel, lined with a Cortland Sylk line. The test casting at the pool was okay, but I really wanted to try one on the river.

We finally got some time and hit the Little D last Monday. It was pretty chilly with a good breeze. I was starting to regret bringing a 4 wgt because of the wind. Once I adjusted my casting stroke I was punching out 30 to 40 foot casts into the wind with no problem. This rod isn't as slow as I thought bamboo would be. The rod dampens quickly and shoots line very nicely. Very light in the hand (but then, it is a 4 wgt), smooth casting and a delight to look at. The other flyfishers we passed gave it an admiring look or two also.

As a first time Bamboo owner, I really like this set up. It is going to be my go-to rod for small streams, that I know already. Unfortunately, it has given me the "Boo bug, bad. A buddy told me that Bamboo rods are like Lay's potato chips, you can'y have just one.

REE

See less See more
#2 ·
Ron,

Kent can tell you all about it. Still waiting on my 4 weight from Homer Jennings. It's been a year now. I hope to have it by this summer! Anyone else got bamboo fishing stories to share to help pass the time?

Dan

#3 ·
Here's one. I bought an early 1970s Orvis 'Nymph' a couple years ago. It's an 8' 2/2 for 4wt, with the traditional impregnated dark Orvis cane, rusty brown wraps and the Battenkill DL aluminum reel seat with a walnut spacer. Nymphs are fairly rare and highyl prized, first because they're for a 4wt, second because they're 8 feet long, and finally, because Orvis didn't make very many of them.

I've fished it several times and like the way it throws line. It's as accurate as the guy casting it and its longer length makes it a fine float tube rod for smaller trout.

Problem is, like most cane rods, it's heavy. So much so that I wasn't able to come close to balancing it with any of the reels I had on hand.

But recently I bought a couple of older Akron-made Pfluerger 1494s wiht some extra spools. Built like trucks from stamped steel, their extra weight actually balances the Nymph. I spooled up the Rio Classic DT4F I bought from cactus a month or so ago and am literally headed out the door in a minute or two to lawn cast it for the first time.

I'll continue this post shortly . . .

K

#4 ·
What a pleasure to cast now that the balance point is around the winding check. The effect of the Rio Classic DT is a little less obvious - if I'd thought about it and had a bit more time, I'd have brought along a couple other 4wt lines to compare it with. 30-40 foot casts were nearly effortless and I paced off a couple at about 55 feet (without a leader.)

Driving home at 5pm with no need for headlights, I thought it's not gonna be much longer and I'll be able to go fishing instead of just lawn casting and wishing.

K

#5 ·
I got the "Boo" bug about 8 years ago.

One of my first rods was Wright Mcgill Granger Lake and Stream. I picked it up for $300. The first couple of time I used this rod I did not really care for it, and seriously considered sell it as soon as possible.

Later that summer, as I was preparing for a trip to Montana,I decided at the last second to take it with me because it was a 3 piece rod which is easier to transport. I used it on the Blackfoot up by Scottie Brown Bridge. The first hour or so I thinking I hand made a mistake by fishing this rod,but as the day went by,I really came to appreciate the medium action of this rod.

That rod is now my favorite rod,and is the first one I grab when I am fishing for trout. I liked it so much I bought another one and a W.M. Granger Victory too. It made me realize that it takes me a few days of hard fishing to really know whether or not I like a rod.

One thing about bamboo is that they come in actions from very slow to very fast just like any other type of rod. The fastest rod I have ever cast was a Phillipson Dry Fly Special. I was able to cast clear across the upper Yakima river and put my fly across the stream with ease. I like bamboo quite abit,but am now really coming to appreciate the old fiberglass rods.

#6 ·
Thanks for posting your thoughts on the rod.:thumb: I would have liked to buy one myself but didn't have the $ at the time. It sounds like a nice rod for a very reasonable price this day and age. I have a South Bend from the mid 50's but its about a 7-8wt and a bit on the heavy side for my trout outings. It does look good on the wall of my tying room though. I'm hoping to get a lighter rod in the near futrue for the small streams.
Mike Monsos

#7 ·
Kent Lufkin said:
I'd have brought along a couple other 4wt lines to compare it with. 30-40 foot casts were nearly effortless and I paced off a couple at about 55 feet (without a leader.)

K
Just got a Rio nympth line and the instructions said never, ever cast without a leader attached, maybe because of the built in loop in the Rio line?

Daryle

#8 ·
Daryle Holmstrom said:
Just got a Rio nympth line and the instructions said never, ever cast without a leader attached, maybe because of the built in loop in the Rio line?
No factory loops on the Classic - just the braided one I built and attached myself. I have noticed though that lawn casting without a leader causes the end of the line to land wiht the tip pointed one way or another.

K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.