Elwah river between the dams

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wbugger, May 2, 2003.

1. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    A cry for Preston maybe?

Preston... Where are you?
    I fish therefore I lie.

2. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Don't get me started on Gorton. The grim reaper did try to link funding for Elwha dam removal to restrictions on the Snake that went way beyond putting Snake River dam removals off limits. Fortunately, there was a big enough hue and cry that he ended up backing off. I think he tried to accomplish something similar in a BPA funding bill but am not sure where it ended up. (I believe that failed too, as evidenced by the passing of the 2000 salmon plan.) Thanks for reminding why I am so happy that bastard is out of office.

To find out what is happening with the Snake, check out this website. http://www.columbia-snake.org.

There is currently a house bill, the 2003 Salmon Action Plan, pending somewhere in Congress. Seems to be a pretty modest bill designed to get the feds -- who've footdragged on implementing the 2000 salmon plan -- off their asses, get some independent scientific input on recovery efforts from the National Academy of Sciences, and provide Congressional authority for removal of the dams (which the Army Corps claims it needs) if the pre-dam removal efforts do not prove successful. Not surprisingly, the only representative from WA or ID supporting it is Jim McDermott. Check it out - there's lots of info on the website mentioned above. If you think it's worth your support, write your representative and ask him or her to support it.

3. Madison

Madison New Member

Even if they breach the damns on the Elwha, what makes anyone think that special interest won't take control and turn it into a laboratory for habitat restoration (e.g. Spirit Lake)? Just a thought. Moreover, if doing so (lab work) would increase our knowledge of how to restor fish and habitate wouldn't it be worth it? Also, I thought that the general concensus was that the rainbows in the Elwha were trapped SH and that that genetic stock would be used to revive the runs. If not, isn't it just another stocked pond?? Just food for thought. I would love to see them come down even though I really enjoy the river as is.

4. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    In the past I complained to Dr Brian Winter, who runs the Elwha Project, and John Meyer, NPS Fisheries Biologist, about the harvest of the Elwha rainbows and how they may be the genetic foundation for the recovery of anadromous steelhead there in the future. It was believed that the Elwha rainbows had more in common with cutthroats than with steelhead. But they have taken the issue seriously and are protecting the Elwha rainbows within the park now from harvest. So that is a good beginning. There may be a time when we can not fish there during restoration but that has not been seriously plotted out or scheduled formally.It is just a possibility depending on how the fish do during the project. I am in favor of sanctuarying one river in America for the grand experiment of seeing what can happen when we don't intervene and screw things up. I think much of the opposition to the Elwha project is about not wanting that kind of progress around here and if it works it will make other dams look bad. Like the Edwards dam removal on the Kennebec River in Maine- scores of fish now spawn in what was once a fetid pool of slackwater and filth.