Emergency Warning to Fly Tyers on the forum

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by John Dude, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Warning to fly tyers. I've decided to try tying my own flies. After researching the tools I need, I was going to buy them ala carte, but concluded the Orvis Fly Tying Kit has good quality tools that should last a while. Unfortunately, the kit is not available for sale anywhere until after Christmas, so I had to order a lesser kit.

The real meat of the warning is this: I will be asking many questions of experienced fly tyers. Since I don't happen to know any, this board will probably fill up with lots of these questions, coming from me. Be forewarned.

This first question is this: Does anyone know of fly tying classes scheduled in Oct or Nov. in the area Edmonds to Renton, Seattle to Bellevue within that general area?
    Please post me the class info, website or contact email.

I looked at several spots, fly tier.net, and Overlake Fly Fishing, and their web sites haven't been updated in months. FishingNorthwest.com web site is dead, and WFFC 0

2. Check the local shops in your area, I'm sure they would have something. Or get "Fly Tying Made Simple" and just start going through it. There are plenty of threads out there too if you do some searching with many beginner tips for you too.

Good luck!
    Bill

3. http://www.creeksideangling.com/classes.htm

Here's where it all started for me quite a few years ago. I thought the program was great. I'm sure it's not exactly the same, but they put together a pretty good product in general.

Not affiliated in any way.

Calvin

4. ok i just got this book and it is AMAZING!
    i have not been to a class as of yet... will be soon!

Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (Hardcover) A++++++ book!
    color photos with GREAT detail!

bad ass book i tell you and a good one to go with it is

The Fly-Tying Bible: 100 Deadly Trout and Salmon Flies in Step-by-Step Photographs (Spiral-bound)

that is a great start. also some clubs are out that that do things too, might be cheaper. some at Churches though.

5. I'd strongly recommend as a Start up kit to buy the Dyna King Kingfisher Starter Kit.. they did the Kit correctly by focusing on getting you a Very good Vise, the KINGFISHER, and also a Good selection of basic Tying tools by Dr. Slick.. there is some materials in the kit, but just materials to tye Deerhair and Elk Hair caddis... (instead of what most kits tend to have, a Bunch of useless Materials that one will probably never need). there's a Fairly alright Book and there's a DVD as well thought I haven't watch it ). The Kits go for $225 but the Vise will work well for You and it will hold up for a good number of years.... You simply buy the Materials as needed for the pattern You actually want to tye...

DEAN ~~~~

6. Welcome to the never ending learning, experimenting, and most of all the thrill of catching on your our creations.
    A girl friends dad showed me how to tie two simple flies (40 years ago) I read books and watched videos, and all the fly fishing shows, friends and shop owners showed me how to tie different flies.
    With the world wide web you can take classes (view vids) on line.
    Once you have a grip on the basic tie, the world is at your finger tips.
    Enjoy

7. The Avid Angler in Lake Forest Park has regular fly tying classes. Check with them to see when they have the next beginners class scheduled.

8. I learned a lot by watching the Fly Tying: The Anglers Art series that is carried on PBS. They give you a lot of info and some great tips.

Brian

9. I often stream The Anglers Art series online from KWSU here in Pullman. They may talk a bit much for the seasoned tier, but being a newbie myself, I love it. Leroy has a lot of little tricks and modifications that may make tying easier for you. For example, whip finishing a parachute fly on the parachute, rather than on the head. http://kwsu.org/

I also have the Fly Tying Bible mentioned above. It is nice to have a simple spiral bound book that stays open while you tie your fly. Just finished some caddis peepers from it tonight. :thumb:

10. I am sure you will find many tiers on here that can help you with questions. Good luck and have fun tying. :thumb:

11. I am a completely self-taught tier having used books and videos to learn the principles and techniques. With the advent of the internet, I now have another tool in my pursuit of fly tying knowledge.

I have a few suggestions that may help your learning process. First, Cabela's has a set of 10 DVDs (20 hours) for $69.99 entitled Tying Flies With Jack Dennis & Friends. It is a great set and Jack has an easy-going style which makes it easy to learn.
    http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat60197

Second, The Art of Fly Tying by John Van Vliet is a very easy to use book filled with color photos and covers everything from tools to materials to techniques. It is an often overlooked book in most fly tier's libraries, but I consider it one of the best books for beginners. I still refer to it often.
    http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Books-Videos-and-DVDs/Art-of-Fly-Tying

Third, the internet has many helpful sites for fly tiers. You Tube has quite a few instructional videos. One of the best sites, though, is Fly Tying Forum. It is frequented by tyers with many years of experience, as well as beginners, and all are more than willing to share their knowledge.
    http://www.flytyingforum.com/

I hope that this helps you and that you get as much enjoyment out of tying as I have for the last 15 years.

12. [Does anyone know of fly tying classes scheduled in Oct or Nov. in the area Edmonds to Renton, Seattle to Bellevue within that general area?

You tube has tons of videos. Also there is a fly shop in mill creek that has tying classes beginning on the 21st of October. The most frustrating fun I have ever had was learning how to tie.

13. One of our own Randy Diefort has a class near Oak Harbour

14. Check with All About The Fly in Monroe. they do fly tying round tables and classes, at least they used to, and they are sponsors here too.

www.allaboutthefly.com

LB

15. Check the local shops AND pick up Kaufmann's nymph and dry fly tying books! he does such a great job in getting beginners going on the right foot ;o)

16. Whatever happens, never let yourself get discouraged by early failed attempts. So many of us tyers have stories of those "abortions" we created when we first sat at the vise. Those who are easily discouraged shouldn't attempt tying. However, those who know the virtue of patience will get rewarded.

BTW, I started tying by getting Skip Morris' "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple." You pretty much learn all the basic techniques there.

--Dave E.

17. I'll have to second the DynaKing tying kit and Creekside's tying class. I received the kit a few years ago as a gift and was surprised to realize the quality of all the tools supplied. Dr. Slick certainly knows his business and the vice has been solid, though I would prefer one with a vice that locked on the edge of the bench. I finally broke down and paid for the class at Creekside in Issaquah last winter- $80 for 3 two hour sessions. Brent certainly knows tying well and is always open to questions whenever you stop by after the class. I wouldn't say it is essential to learning how to tie though. I took it because I wasn't confident I was teaching myself correctly from books, only to find out I was doing just fine on my own. Good luck and enjoy!

18. Maybe I'm speaking out of turn here since I'm not a member, but I'd like to give a plug for the classes given by the Washington Fly Fishing Club. Best value I can think of. It's an 8-week class held in a church basement on Mercer Island. From what I remember they've been holding these classes every winter for 20 years or so. I took the class 10 or 12 years ago and haven't bought a fly since. When I took the class there were probably 40-50 students and 15-20 volunteer instructors. Great deal. Classes start in Jan 2010.

http://www.wffc.com/instruction.htm

Since you've already got some tools and materials, I'd spend a little time with a book (Skip Morris' "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple" is a good one) playing around on your own. By the time the class starts, you'll have a feel for putting materials on a hook. That will give you a head start and make the class a whole lot more beneficial.