End of June Montana Report

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Dan Soltau, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    My buddy Scott and I left Seattle the afternoon of June 25th and made it to missoula arounf 11 pm missou time. The next morning we got up, stopped by the kingfisher, chatted for a bit and moved on to continue driving to the madison. Stopped by the little blackfoot and made 1 cast, hooked a nice brown, he jumped and was gone. That was the only sign of fish we saw so we kept moving. Stopped at warm springs to find an EXTREMELY high flow, we are talking maybe 100 cfs! Once again we pressed on. Go to ennis at about 1 pm and stopped to get a report and chat with a few buddies at MRFC. They told us the river was running 2000 cfs, which is twice it usual level and wading would be tough. We then headed to raynolds pass to try our luck there. We fished hard for 2 hours, hitting every pocket visible, which were few because of the severe flows. We decided to hike into big bend which around raynolds but i am not going to give directions. We hiked about a mile and a half before we started fishing. Once again we found the high flows to be problematic. We hooked maybe a half dozen fish and landed one nice brown. (19-20", picture) As we decided to head back out a frickin hurricane came in with 40-50 mph gusts which were powerful enough to alter ones directing when walking. When we got back to the car we made the decision to make camp in ennis because how good the campsite and the fishing are. Made camp in a nice site that was tucked back in the trees but still near the shitter and we were back on the water. The water was very brown, but the type of brown that can offer awesome streamer fishing. So i was out there stripping 4 inch sculpin patterns back to me. Had a HUGE wake follow my fly and then turned and threw water every where, it was a nice bow that apparently didnt want the plunger. 5 minutes later I had a solid take so I made sure to set the hook and it turns out a 10 inch whitey got more than he bargained for. I side hooked him and threw him about thirty feet in the air and he landed about 10 feet behind me, luckily i was feeling generous and i got him back in the water, but after telling him he was a hopeless dumbass. Didnt get any touches for the rest of the evening. Went back to camp and chilled for while and went to bed.
    Woke up the next morning and pretty much did the same routine... finding the river way to high to wade fish and work our asses off for few fish... Talked to someof my buddies who were guiding that day and they said the fish were holding bout a foot off the bank chowing on salmonfly nymphs and caddis and that a boat was essential. For once i agreed with them about the boat, the madi was too high and too fast to wade fish effectively. Anyway,, story goes lots of walking, casting, good drifts through good pockets, few fish. Frustration.
    But we made good time on the way back. Average speed : 90 MPH through Montana, Idaho, and Washington. Slow in Ellensbirg because they have the god damn radar going on and they drop tickets like it was going out of style.
    Fun trip but shitty fishing, if anybody wants more details I would be happy to tell. Highlight of the trip : Trying to catch a rabbit with bare hands in thick bushes. I almost died.
    Heres some pics

Attached Files:

2. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    good report, to bad the waters and fishing sucked, it's that time of year.

3. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
    I promise I won't tell your father you were driving 90 MPH! :thumb:

4. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    he taught me!

5. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
    That's what i figured... Tell him I'm still working on getting jackets for the team.

6. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    thanks again wayne!

7. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dan,
    Funny report and great read. I'm glad your still alive. I'm going to go blow myself up with fireworks, have a nice day.