Enough already, Simms.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jack Devlin, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

For the record.
    I like Simms products. Have a pair of G3's and Headwaters waders. Great stuff. I especially like the fit and abundance of sizes available. The Headwaters boots are fine although I wasn't really happy that they were made in China. I don't like all the logos/names. And not just on Simms products.
    Today I went fishing. I put on my THORLO socks, HANNES shorts, Wrangler jeans, Alaska Hotel tee shirt, an ARHARTT work shirt (the C was hidden by my Sportsmans Warehouse pen), a Lake Crescent Lodge ball cap and my Timberland hikers. I had a pleasant drive to the beach. The shiny Ram hood emblem on my truck glistened in the morning sun. I suited up in my Simms waders and shoes, rigged up my Echo rod, tied on one of my nameless flies and lost a fish when a blood knot gave out. I don't know what the fish was. A rezzie I think. I didn't see a logo or a name tag. I had at least fifty-four logos/names on me not counting inside labels.
    In the scheme of things it's not something to be concerned about, but it is something to think about??????
    Now where did I put that seam ripper.:)

flyfool likes this.
  2. I love that your avatar is a logo. No sarcasm or dickish-ness intended.

Jack Devlin and Kcahill like this.
  3. Jack Devlin

I know. Thanks. I was wondering who would make that observation. Exactly. Its all so much a part of our (great) American life we don't realize it sometimes.
    Jack

underachiever likes this.
  4. JE

JE Active Member

The bottom line is that human beings just seem to want to have an identity.
    Wearing those Simms boots might say to everyone, "hey I'm a flyfisher." Not wearing them might say, "hey I'm a rugged individualist that will not stand for being used as a human billboard." That huge tattoo on your back of a Samarai might say "hey, I'm a super intense warrior" when you go swimming at the SHARC in Sunriver with your family. You may also just wear stuff with logos because you're the "hey, I'm the comfortable functional stuff wearing guy." Or, you might get paid to wear a logo. People will know if you're legit, a sellout or a poser once they hang around you enough.

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you're worried about it too much, maybe you're insecure with your status. I'm not, could care less if I'm in Simms (though I'll admit it's nice having decent waders lol) or Hodgeman. If it works for me, and I can afford it, then I'm game. For years it's been an advertising game. As long as I can remember that is. Like I said, almost all my clothing, computers, etc that I work with have the UPS logo splattered all over them (including my socks). Nothing new for me.

JE likes this.
  6. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I don't know what kind of logic that is, Hello Kitty stripping basket makes you legit.

Stripping Basket.jpg

JE likes this.
  7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Thanks to this thread I got out the seam ripper and removed the Simms logo from the tongue of my so far unworn Headwaters wading boots. Now I'll expect to wade more comfy next week.
    Thanks Ive!

Sg

8. rymo

rymo Member

My favorite hat is a Simms hat. It is my favorite because it's the most comfortable hat I've ever worn (one of the flex-fit hats), but I also like that it identifies me as a fly fisherman when I'm out and about. I also have a Simms fish logo sticker on my laptop at work - you'd be surprised how many conversations it starts.

I think we are over-thinking this logo thing a bit too much. We all have things/brands we like - why not promote them?

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

The only Simms thing that I have is my Gaiters. My boot are Korkers, My waders are Dan Baileys Bare bones, My vest is an off the wall brand. But I haven't dressed down in all my gear in two years. I wear a ball cap that say's "Old Man" on it. That is my only piece of equipment that I wear all over the place.

10. PT

PT Physhicist

Always thought my Simms hat identified me as someone wearing a Simms hat.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

12. flyfool

flyfool Active Member

You probably put it in your back pocket, which is just below the Levis label. Glad to help. I'm waiting for some kid to say, "Excuse me, Mr. Caddis, can you show me how to tie this hook on?" But kids today never say Mister anymore and look up knots on smart phones so all my wisdom will go for naught. Just as well; I'm lousy at knots.

Jack Devlin likes this.
  13. Jack Devlin

14. Jack Devlin

Where can I get one of those strippin' baskets with the cat logo? :cool:
    I used a stripping basket (rubbermaid dishpan) for east coast surf casting until a wave broke on me and knocked me down. All the holes I had drilled in the pan didn't help much. I stopped using one after that but in Puget Sound it would be fine. It would help avoid the salad.
    Jack

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, it won't really distinguish you as a flyguy anymore. Gear guys are buying up Simms in droves. I know a few gear guides who wear Simms (and they do NOT touch fly rods AT ALL!). Even wear the hats. Remember there are some gear guys out there who love quality gear and aren't snaggers/flossers. And a lot of them can easily afford it to. ;)

16. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Filson now has an outlet store in the Burlington Outlet Mall. I got a rain coat for half price which got a good workout on the Skagit this winter and a friend picked up some Filson waders that he loves (also half normal retail. It is definitely worth a stop if you are in the area. Rick

17. rymo

rymo Member

...and I'm totally fine with that. I don't need to be a snob about the fact that I fool fish with feathers vs rubber or dead fish. At least we have a common respect for high quality fishing gear, or even just a good hat :)