Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Entered the bamboo owners club today

Bamboo 
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Alex MacDonald 
#1 ·
Neighbors were having a yard sale as I drove by. I saw a bunch of rods lined up so I stopped it. All of them were spinning gear so I asked about fly gear. He brought out 3 rods. A cheap Wal-Mart combo, a Fenwick graphite 8 weight, and a bamboo rod. I bought the bamboo rod and a pflueger 1495.

The rod is a Montague Sunbeam 9' 3 piece with 3 tips. The bamboo was dirty and the wraps aren't in great shape but looked structurally sound. The middle section is missing a guide and 2 of the tips have a bend in them but I can fix that. I paid $20 for the combo and think I made out alright. I plan on refurbishing it.

You guys have any info on this old guy? What line weight might agree with it?

Wood Musical instrument Metal Font Pipe

Wood Musical instrument Metal Font Pipe

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Kent Lufkin
#3 ·
Most American nine foot production bamboos were for, by contemporary standards, a size 6,7,8, or 9 line. Try one, and it will indicate what to try next. You can do those tests before rewraping the guides.

Reactions: Kent Lufkin
#4 ·
Lined it up with a wf7 and it matched pretty well. It was fun casting, heavy though and my martin 65 wasn't heavy enough to balance. It took a while to get the stroke figured out, but once I did I found a ton of reserve power

#6 ·
Nice rod, Gary; I have my father's Sunbeam, and saw one in a display case in Orvis Sacramento-one that was not as good as yours-for $1500!! Outrageous! Angler's Roost Enterprises and Headwaters Bamboo Rods both have cheap `boo rods worth a look. I have two of the Headwaters' rods: a Santiam 4wt, and a Rogue 5wt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.