Entry level pontoon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Eric Barton, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Eric Barton New Member

Winnemucca, Nevada
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am looking to purchase a pontoon boat to accompany my float tube, but I have limited access for hands on shopping in my area. Any input on brands or sizes would help. I will be fishing mainly lakes and reservoirs. Budget under $400!!!

Thanks
    Eric
  2. Jason Trout Bum

Edmonds, WA
    Email sent.
  3. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +73 / 0
  4. zipmyfly New Member

Beaverton, Oregon
    300 bucks got me a nice toon from Costco. I've hammered this thing and for 300 bucks you can't go wrong. I have 2 friends that got one also and we all have had no problems. Anyone tell you differant doesn't know what they're talking about. Guys we've met with "nicer" "american made" toons have been impressed as well. I'll go on a limb and say, you can't posibly find a better toon for 300 bucks.
  5. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    I did the costco thing too. Its the same as a trout unlimited Colorado, I'm pretty sure. I own one. Best boat for 300.00 I searched everywhere.
  6. Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

snohomish, washington
    the ODC super sport 9 is an awesome pontoon boat, rated for class 2 whitewater, and only 325, after tax, at outdoor emporium, depends on where you get it will determine price.
  7. djzaro New Member

gone, bs
    I also bought the costco special for 300 bucks. Returned it after the first trip down the sauk when one of the valves went bad and would not hold air anymore. I am sure it is a fluke thing, but I own 3 other pontoon boats,I would spend the extra money to get the fish cat 9' from joe's instead. I have been using the fish cat primarly for the last 2 years and it's the best boat I have found for the money. It would only extend your budget a little bit. I am sure the costco boat is a great boat for the money, but a few things to remember that I found out are: These boats are really too heavy for what a boat of that size needs to be. The boat also is wider than most boats of that range which makes it more stable, but a pain in the ass to transport in the back of a truck with other toons. And last, if you do get the costco boat I would think about applying a more durable powder coating to it. The paint it comes with can darn near be scratched off with a finger nail. If money is your main concern, go with the costco boat. If you think this will be your main way down the rivers for years to come, I would consider other options.
  8. Scotty G I lost my hat

Salmon Creek, WA
    I second the Water Skeeter Spey model from sierratradingpost.com. I had been looking for a pontoon boat for months, including the Spey model, when sierratradingpost sent me a nice 20% off coupon, which I used immediately. Boat came in just north of $300. It’s a little heavy to portage, but nice on the water.
  9. J.Michelle Swope Yes, I said "bobi-cator"

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    The Fishcat 9 was good for a one seater. Got it through Cabelas.
  10. J.Michelle Swope Yes, I said "bobi-cator"

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    The Fishcat 9 worked well for me. Got it throught Cabelas. I'm not sure about the price, got mine a couple years ago, and they may have jacked up the price.
  11. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    Cabelas has the Creek Company ODC, Super Sport 9 on sale right now for $249.99, should be just what you are looking for.

LB