Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Epic glass rods?

Fiberglass 
2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  clarkman 
#1 ·
I remember this rod being mentioned before but could not find much through the search here. Has any one here built on these blanks? Used one? Curious of opinions or reviews if any to be had. Thanks.

#3 ·
I haven't had the opportunity to play with one yet, but judging by the way they're marketed, it's all about color and style, they don't really mention much about how it actually fishes in their marketing strategy. Personally, I'll stick with my Steffens, which fit my casting style perfectly.

#6 ·
Randall, I agree that their marketing is mis-focused. Here are some specs and notes about the engineering and performance that seem to be accurate based on reviews by users: http://swiftflyfishing.com/pages/epic-specs

Supposedly from actual early adopters they build into very high performance glass rods. As suggested above, check FFR for lots of commentary, the summary of which is this: The 480 is a semi-parabolic taper that's quicker than most comparable rods. The 580 and 686 are fast for glass, and very nice to fish with.

I am personally going to get a 686 built up sometime in 2014. I'm waiting for the blanks to come out in darker brown color. I would never fish a fluorescent rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.