Epoxy Bodies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mike Etgen, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    Having done a search of this site and being satisfied I haven't missed anything, I'm soliciting tips on creating flies with epoxy bodies, specifically for SRCs. I picked up a very simple pattern last week at Waters West and had some takes on it yesterday. It's a very simple pattern; slim epoxy body (about .5") and the tail olive over white bucktail with a little flash tied in.
    I've had some success with epoxy heads, but I'd be interested in what some of the experienced tiers here would suggest as hints for success.

(Of course, I acknowledge that this particular fly isn't the new "silver bullet" for SRC's but it sure looks simple and easy to tie, except for the epoxy body...)

Thanks in advance for any sugestions.

2. SpeyRodBeBop

SpeyRodBeBop Member

3. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
  4. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Media:
    I was experimenting with epoxy a while back and came up with this pattern. Have yet to fish it.

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/4925EpoxyShrimpMED-med.jpg

It's similar to Popovic's Ultra-shrimp but I used a different technique to form the epoxy body. Instead applying the epoxy directly to the fly and using a curing wheel I formed the body by rolling the epoxy in a plastic membrane material and shaped it into a shrimp shape once the epoxy started to firm up. This worked pretty good but is time consuming.

----------------------------------------

5. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    I took a look at some of the links you guys provided - the "i-link" page was temporarily unavailable, but from what I see in the others and what you've said, it would appear that there's no "trick" to creating an epoxy body; you build up the body layer by layer and keep rotating it until the epoxy sets.

For those of you who've done it, am I on the right track? I've been using a 5-minute epoxy for my heads and it seems to work out well.

Thanks for the input and the links.

6. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    Mike,
    Without an epoxy fly turner, you are on the right track. 5 minute epoxy is the best starting point. From your description the fly you are copying sounds like a ‘Thunder Creek Minnow’? If it is (or something similar) you may only need one coat of epoxy to achieve the desired effect.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com