epoxy help

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by McNasty, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Doing it by hand (without a vise) and putting it on wheel quickly will get you this shape. Epoxy "wants" to flow into that shape on a wheel. Avoiding it is the hard part.

2. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    I can say that Bug Bond isn't tack-free either. I just got some and tried it a couple days ago. I hadn't heard about the alcohol wipe. I will try that next. And maybe I will go dig out some SHHAN. (is regular head cement OK too?)

I like the UV stuff because it's thick enough to stay in place, so it actually builds up quickly and in one coat--unlike SHHAN--too many coats, IMO. But I do want a shine to it. Maybe I'll try the leaving them in sunlight. Do I have to avoid touching them first?

I like the handling and how the stuff works. But it's not tack-free either. :-(

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    tkww,
    Thanks for the info on Bug Bond.
    In regards to touching it, I avoid it until I'm done with the SHHAN topping. I tied up some coho flies with stinger hooks. I wanted to cut the front hook off.
    I was in a hurry and the CCG was still tacky. By grabbing the head while it was still tacky the head seemed to get a bit less clear. I had cured it well with the light, so I'm not sure what the issue was. This was just my experience.
    Hopefully as time goes by one of these companies will actually produce a product that is truly tack free.

4. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    That makes sense. I'm assuming that the dulling is basically oil off the skin or something? So perhaps with the alcohol wiping it wouldn't matter, but it makes sense to keep my mitts off it till I coat it, assuming I go that route. I just want that sheen that comes from a clear, hard surface.

I have just started messing around with this stuff, so perhaps I will figure out more as time goes on. The dulled surface isn't horrible, but it is clearly dulled compared to when I don't touch it. I'm not sure how much it matters hanging 15 feet down in a lake. Maybe in clearer, shallower streams where there is more sunlight it might be more of a factor.

5. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    Diamond Hard Tack Free UV Resin is about as close as it gets to being tack free. seits up clear and rock hard.

http://www.deercreek.co.uk/Diamond-Hard-UV-resin-kit.html

6. BuzFly

BuzFly Member

Home Page:
    As much as I like the new light cured acrylics, at this point epoxy still is my go to coating especially on the production end. Mixing epoxy is as simple as you want it to be - one blob of each and stir and apply. Yellowing of five minute will always happen but if they yellow after 6 months then you are just tying not fishing. 30 minute will solve the problem. For me, coat the fly and put it on the wheel and you are done.
    If I need a quick fly or head, then light cured acrylic works great. I sill think they Do not penetrate as well as epoxy or are the 100% tack free. Some have bad outgassing and residual stickyness can develop over thime.
    What do I base this on? Over the last seven years I have tried them all and some that are not on the market with over twenty lights.
    The one thing in common is you need the correct light and the one with a lot of power/watts.

Also you have to get the body perfect and then set eveyone with the light. Also the wheel will make them perfect if that is the shape you want.
    Out of them all I would recommend Bug Bond or CCG. The biggest selling point is that they both use the same wavelength to cure so the lights are interchangeable.

Just my thoughts.......Brad

7. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Brad, thanks for sharing your experience. I've bought bug bond, so I'll at least use it until it's used up. I'll see what happens and decide if I want to go back to epoxy after the season is done.

8. BuzFly

BuzFly Member

Home Page:
    Tkww. You will like the Bug Bond. Fresh batteries are key. Better off with multiple thin coats. Good luck.

9. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Yeah. Avoid the two part epoxy as others have said. There are so many better products on the market (i.e Clear Cure Goo) that it's not worth it to take the time mixing the epoxy and dealing with that shit.

10. Baitfish

Baitfish Member

Media:
    I gave up on CCG and epoxy. Liquid Fusion for me! No smell, no mixing, no mess, no cracking, no yellow, no tack, and a lot cheaper! If there's a drip or two the stuff cleans up with water.

I think it's best attribute is... it shrinks as it dries securing materials in place so you won't get the big "bug eyes!" Awesome stuff! Of course you'll need a drying wheel as it does take a little bit of time to set (about an hour). Fish ready in four hours.

Gig Harbor Fly Shop has 4oz bottles for under $8.

[​IMG]

11. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Had not heard about this product. I will say that I don't particularly want something that changes shape when it dries, but if it's minimal it wouldn't be the end of the world.