Epoxy question for Greg

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Roper, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Greg, where do you get your Devcon epoxy? Most 5 minute stuff I have used in the past is not clear. Do you have to spin this stuff while it sets up or does it have enough body to it to stay put?

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

2. Greg

Greg Member

Roper,

I get the epoxy at my local Ace Hardware store in the glue section next to the paints. Its the only place I've been able to find it and that includes searching Home Depot, Lowes etc. etc.

The fly will need to rotate to allow the epoxy to set up. I usually just rotate the fly while its still in the vise (rotary vise.) A good idea from Popovics that I follow is to mix the epoxy on a small Post-It Note pad with a flat toothpick. While rotating the fly with one hand, I poke the toothpick on the residual that remains on the Post-It Note sheet to easily determine when enough setup time has passed...in most cases, no more than 2 or 3 minutes.

Here's a quick scan of the epoxy product I use:
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/dc/user_files/1050.jpg

3. gotchasr

gotchasr Member

Media:
    Most hobby shops (as in RC airplanes, cars etc.) have it as well. There is one behind Alderwood mall that is probably closest to you, Roper. I think it's called Hobbytown USA.

4. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    one trick I use on the dual syringe dispenser is to cut away the plastic that holds the two plungers together - I could never push the plungers down to get the same amount out simultaneously.

Second the post-it note idea, works great.

Kaufman's has z-poxy if your ACE is out of 5 minute - but make sure you look at the bottles before buying to make sure they are clear...

Try mixing a very fine glitter in the epoxy before applying...

Surf.

5. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I tried mixing glitter in, but it seems to get lost to me. Now I am thinking about sprinkling it on....

Rob

6. ZugBug

ZugBug Member

Media:
    I started mixing my epoxy on white bonded paper with a bodkin. Sometimes after using colored paper and toothpicks I've found my heads yellow or tint a bit.

I have the same problem with the plunger. I'm going to try cutting that divider. Thanks for the tip!

7. Greg

Greg Member

Chris Windram at Saltwaterflies (http://www.saltwaterflies.com/) sells a product called "EZ-Shape Sparkle Body." No mixing, non-toxic, no dripping/drooping, no rotating etc. and comes in about a dozen colors. I haven't tried it yet, but am tempted. I don't think its available locally. Upper right corner of his website if you care to check it out.

8. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    A good way to get the glitter to work is to put a small ammount of glitter in a small plastic box. Let the epoxpy on your fly harden up and when it's still tacky drop it in the box and shake. :)

9. Rob Blomquist

Media:
    I have used it, and its not bad, Orvis in Bellevue sells it, and I have a bottle that's available.

I would rather use glitter from a craft shop and Devcon. It's way cheaper, and a better product, and its more versatile.

10. Rob Blomquist

Media:
    How hard? I could see with 1 hour epoxy on a wheel that at 45 minutes it could take it, but why not just sprinkling it on right after gluing?

Rob

11. Greg

Greg Member

Rob,

I take the availability of the bottle you have as a negative endorsement of the product. I've read between the lines and trust your opinion.

Just a thought that may or may not be the effect you're looking for: take a look at that Coho Mojo fly I recently posted here in the Fly Pattern section. Those aren't air bubbles in the epoxy...that's light reflection off of the Laser Flash and EZ-Body from under the epoxy (granted its accentuated by the scanner's light source.) The clear epoxy is opaque enough to create diffusion of the reflected light resulting in a "sparkling" effect. Maybe wrapping with Laser Flash under the area to be coated with epoxy might yield an easy and more controllable solution?

12. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    I use the 5 minute epoxy so I let it set almost completely up until it's just barely tacky that way when I shake it in the box the glitter settles evenly with no clumps. You just have to experiment until it looks right...:beer1