Epoxy

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by LoonhauntDave, Sep 17, 2007.

1. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    I too like it a lot. Gives you that "classic" lacquer look with a lot more durability...
  2. Gunnar New Member

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I totally agree!!!
    Ditch the Flex Coat and get some Threadmaster:thumb: It is a superior product!
  3. EMPyre Erich with an H -Top Water Soldier-

Bothell, Wa
    Just a thought but... if it cures due to moisture wouldn't squeezing down the bottles to remove the air prevent shelf curing? Or does this stuff grab so much moisture out of the air that its a lost cause?
  4. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Glass bottle.... some folks do move it to a dispenser that can be collapsed...
  5. LoonhauntDave New Member

Divide, Co
    Well,

I am going to dump the flex coat. I have had a horrible experience as of late. I have built a number of rods, but this last one has been hexed or something. I am going to order some threadmaster before I waste anymore time with the Flexcoat.

Dave
  6. LoonhauntDave New Member

Divide, Co
    Do you recommend the U40 Perma GLOSS OR LS supreme one is a two part the other not. Just curious?
    And how do does it compare to threadmaster.
  7. LoonhauntDave New Member

Divide, Co
    I am putting my epoxy coating on hold. I ordered threadmaster and Trondak Perma Gloss, I am going to do some experimenting.

My dry box micro environment worked pretty well. I will put up some photos. As soon as I have touched all the rough spots in the frame for the box.

Thanks for all the help folks.
  8. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Depends on what you want. I like LS Supreme and it's my coating of choice. It's a bit harder to work with than Flexcoat. I haven't dropped the coin for Threadmaster, mostly cause I still have a ton of LS supreme. The U40 for me has been relagated to "classic" looking thread wraps. It'll look like varnish, but wear like iron.
  9. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    I have used a lot of the Threadmaster, and I just love the finish. However, it has a quicker set time and the bubble issue is there with it as well. I just received some Threadmaster lite, which is new and will use that on my next rod, possibly ready to do some this weekend. I'm hoping that the thinner nature of this will allow me to be better with the bubbles. BTW, I agree with James and the straw thing, that is how I do it as well.

I have found that the best way to get a bubble free finish is to not mess with it too much. The more you mess with it, the worse it gets. Apply the finish thinly, blow out bubbles, do the rotating and plan on two or more coats.....

Wayne
  10. LoonhauntDave New Member

Divide, Co
    So.. my bottle of Perma Gloss just showed up yesterday. Why oh Why did I not find this stuff sooner. It is by far and away the easiest material that I have ever used for thread coating and applique work. I have been using threadmaster, and it is just too thick.

Nice and thin, clear and plenty of pot life.

Dave
  11. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Dave,

Like James and I said earlier, U40 Perma Gloss is wonderful stuff and produces a great, varnish-like finish that has virtually zero bubbles and wears like iron. The downsides are that it takes 4-5 coats to get a good, smooth finish and once the bottle is opened, it starts to harden and will be useless in about 3 weeks to a month.

Trondak's U40 Perma Gloss has been on the market for over 20 years. I first used it back in 1982 on a 9' 8 wt that I gave to my 20 year old when he was 11. The finish is still looking as good as when the rod was new.

And like James, I now use U40 LS Supreme 2-part finish.
  12. LoonhauntDave New Member

Divide, Co
    :thumb:

I will have to look into the LS Supreme. I am extremely happy with the progress on this Dan Craft blank after I quit the threadmaster habit. the Perma Gloss is not too bad on the Purple Heart/Canary wood trim on the grips either. I intend to steel wool the wood to take some of the gloss off. Here are some progress photos.

I need to take a break and catch some trout tomorrow.

Thanks

All