European Style Shrimp Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave Westburg, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Dave Westburg

Dave Westburg Member

Here are some european style shrimp flies. I got the pattern ideas from the Mann and Gillespie's recent book Shrimp and Spey Flies for Salmon and Steelhead. The first fly is a Claret Shrimp. The second fly is an Ally's shrimp. The third fly is an Red Pearl Ally's Shrimp.

McNeese, maybe you have a few examples of old English shrimp flies you could post.

2. Davy

Davy Active Member

3 sweet & pretties :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

A shrimp trifecta !

nice work

I want to read that book for sure.

Davy

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Here's a collection of Ally's that I picked up on one of my trips to Scotland. Gotta love those doubles and trebles! :thumb:

Attached Files:

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, gotta love those Alpinetrout. I will go and see if I can find mine from the UK. Have quite a few. Funny to see the size of them too (so small). But still have a bunch downstairs. Some are actually singles.

5. Dave Westburg

Dave Westburg Member

What size hooks are those Ally's tied on? I tied mine on Tiemco Size 4. Seems like a small Ally's shrimp would be a good summer steelhead or searun pattern. You could even use a treble if you were on the Cowlitz and wanted to keep a hatchery fish or two.

6. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I think they're 8's and 10's. One of them looks like maybe a 12.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

I know most of the ones I have are sizes 8 and 10. They're very small. I'll head downstairs and see if I can find them and toss them on the scanner and see how they turn out.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

I have a big pile of atlantics from the UK. Nothing like Mr. McNeeses though. LOL. Mine are mostly contemporary. With some older ones I bought with an old wheatley. But nothing super old (the nicer older ones I put into a display). But these are the ones I had that were smaller. The untied hook is a size 4 for comparison.
    [​IMG]

9. Davy

Davy Active Member

Wow, Jerry, super cool, :thumb:

I can't wait for June and our Ireland trip, got the passports last week and that just makes the waitin tougher,savin the cash up for the "treasure" hunt,LOL, just gotta figure out how to get it all back here.

It's all about the flys

Davy

10. Warren Perry

Warren Perry Grizzly 6

I am by no means a student of European flies but I am intrigued by them. I have tried to tie the Ally's Shrimp and I think I did a fair job at it. REE posted a picture of it as it was part of the Marathon Swap. The link is below

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4596&sort=1&cat=537&page=1

I tied it because my good friend Paul from Scotland sugggested it. Here is what he had to say in the way of advice to me:

may be worth trying some Scottish tactics, basically most of us only tend to use either an Ally's Shrimp (more orange than red) when water warm, or a Black and Yellow both tied pretty thin on a medium tube with a treble on the end. Good news about these is do not have to be particularly pretty and very easy to tie.

Warren