"even if it kills all the fish" ...Sequim City Attorney about the shopping development

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dungeness, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Dungeness

Dungeness New Member

2. Dungeness

Dungeness New Member

3. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    RiverFishing

I read the article this morning and the lawyer's statement made me sick. I can't believe it's evening and not one individual has responded to this. I guess we're all (me included ;) ) too busy debating ethics, politics, etc.

I'm not a lawyer and not that smart, or eloquent, or rich. Heck, I don't even live over that way, though in about two weeks I will be settling in Port Orchard (at last).

But I feel for this and I've seen how WalMart bulldozes its way into and over other communities.

Ideas...I'm wondering if your organization has contacted any of the "heavy hitters" in the environmental movement - the Sierra Club, the Audubon Society, etc. (Forgive me if you've already covered those...) I'm wondering also if it would make sense to contact Ralph Nader's group (www.citizen.org). I know some people don't like his ways but he's gotten some things done in his lifetime, and I'm guessing he's got some warriors in his organization. Maybe someone with experience in this stuff can suggest some tactics and/or strategy.

It is war. Your lawyer made that clear.

Once I'm over there I'll be at loose ends (unemployed) for a time and as long as you refer to my earlier comments (not a lawyer, smart, eloguent, or rich) I'd be willing to lend my energy in some way. There will be the outsider thing, of course, but at least I'll be a little closer.

Good luck. It sure sounds grim.

Mike :hmmm

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    For the life of me I just can't figure why anybody wants to live in the god forsaken place. Port Orchard. I moved away from there about 60 years ago and never looked back.LOL

Just playing around.

Jim

5. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Yep, Walmart is a scourge of the earth, and a member of the pave the earth society, not to mention, cheat your employees society, and a couple of others.

:reallymad ;(

6. Mike Etgen

Media:
    RiverFishing

Jim...

I wish you could have been with me five or so years ago when I passed Prosser on my way to the Tri-Cities for the first time. LOL
    Now keep in mind I had lived thirty-one years in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains in Virginia where there were thousand of acres of hardwoods and rolling fields and gentle slopes and well...you get the idea. It was a pretty place.
    As I viewed the terrain east of Prosser I couldn't help but wonder why anyone would have lived in what appeared to be such Godforsaken land. But over time I began to see the point of view of folks and agreed there were good enough reasons to like it on the dry side.
    However, you can take the boy out of the woods, or something like that, but you know, you just get a taste for a certain kind of look and feel of land, and it just stays with you. I'm sure there are folks who were raised close to the ocean who couldn't possibly bear the thought of moving to the prairie states and desert folks who can't imagine why one would choose to live up in "the hills" somewhere.
    I know I'm preaching to the choir, but everyone feels that pull to land that says "home." We think we might be there in the Port Orchard area. We might not end up exactly there, we've got a year to look around the area, but we like what we've seen so far.
    I knew you were just joshin' me. I remembered you mentioning once before that you had lived there. Don't they have a plaque somewhere to mark the site?;)
    Anyway, if it doesn't work out I promise I'll get in touch and admit I should have listened to you. Of course I'll be expecting a recommendation on where to go next. But I gotta tell you, there's a little snow on the roof, if you get my drift, and I'm tired of the moving. Plus my back's a little stiff and I haven't been getting in much fishing lately. I think I've got one more move in me, then it's time for the kids to fight over my stuff and wonder why the hell I kept THIS thing or THAT thing.
    Not that I ever contemplate my own mortality or anything like that.
    Heck, I just wish I'd started flyfishing sooner! :thumb

Mike, the weary wanderer

7. Mike Etgen

Media:
    RiverFishing

You know, I was thinking that but didn't want to be seen as "a good old fashioned mud slinging finger pointing eye gouging flag waving flag burning I'm right you're wrong my party is perfect yours is run by Satan type."

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Mike, the mud-slingin', finger-pointin', eye-gouging', waving a burning flag, NASCAR-watchin, apologist for slavery, good ol' boy

8. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

"In the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginie, on the Trail of the Lonesome Pine..."

Mike,

It's a frivolous question in the context of this thread's subject, but what part of the Old Dominion are you from? I ask because I was born and raised there, in Pulaski, Pearisburg, and Roanoke, until 1960, and I was back there this May, getting reacquainted and fishing some fine mountain trout streams.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I've also lived many places. When I was a kid it seemed that my dad moved once a year to a different place and when I got older I seemed to do the same. Well I also have snow on the roof and I think that my pilot light has gone out but I just keep plugging away.

Jim