Even more spey rod questions

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Paul Huffman, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    How am I going to carry this 13.5 ft. spey rod on a 9 ft. Pontoon boat? I was thinking I'd better break it down at the middle ferrule and stuff it in the piece of schedule 40 plastic pipe I use to carry the single hander. Otherwise, the floppy tip is going to whip around uncontrollably when running a drop or catch in overhead branches.

How about on a mountain bike? I carry my single hander in a 55" piece of plastic 2" pipe tied to the horizontal frame member (http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1462&sort=1&cat=500&page=2). The spey rod broken down to its four sections is too big for a two inch pipe, so I carry it around in a four inch pipe section. The four inch pipe is too big to go between my legs on the bike, so I was thinking about breaking it down in the middle and sticking it into a 2 inch pipe but the pipe would have to be 81" long. Is that going to work? It seems to me there was a fork mounted rod carrier in the Cabelas catalog, but I can't seem to find it now. Was I thinking about a different catalog? I want to take a closer look at that.
  2. sean Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yep you will probably want to break it down. That is a lot of rod to have swinging around and trees like to grab em and snap the tips. In drift boats or sleds you can get away with not breaking them down but in my watermaster I always break em down in half and strap it down. Not too big a deal as with steelheading you are floating spot to spot and it only takes a second to put the rod back together.

If you figure out the mountain bike thing let me know :)

-sean
  3. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Get a 3 piece rod. It will fit in 2" Sched. 40 pvc. :)