Evening report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Will Atlas, May 25, 2005.

1. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

I arrived at the beach north of seattle around 7:45, and fished until after sunset. In the hour and a half I was there things were relatively slow, occasionally I would see a baitfish or smolt jump, but often out beyond my casting range. After almost half an hour of fishing I threw a cast towards a baitfish I had just seen spalsh closer in, and on the 4th or 5th strip something hit my clouser hard. It shook its head a couple times and was gone before I knew what had happened. After that things went dead and I moved up and down the beach finding nothing but seaweed. As the sun set over the olympics the activity picked up again, this time closer to shore, but it was getting late, and the park closed 20 minutes after sunset. The ranger came down to tell me she would be closing the gate soon. All around me now baitfish were jumping within range and I told myself 3 more casts. On the 2nd cast with about 3 feet of flyline left in the water I felt a firm tug on my fly and rasing my rod tip, found a 10 inch cutthroat at the end of my line. After a short, but splashy and spirited battle, I netted the fish and unhooked him. I wanted to stay longer knowing that the fish were feeding near shore, but that fish would have to be enough, the gates were closing in just a few minutes and I had to get back to my car, or spend the night in the parkinglot. All in all it was a gourgeous evening, great weather and awesome to be on the water. I'm going back as soon as I can.
    Tightlines, Will

2. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    Sounds like what I should be doing more of. I probably would have opted to sleep in the car, or get creative and make my own way out...

3. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Can you park outside the park entrance and walk in?

4. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Ibn, I tried that once. When I returned to the car, the Ranger Nazi had put a "warning" notice of Infraction on my vehicle for trespassing in a county park (after hours). Nothing takes the joy out of an evening on the beach like that. I am sure the grinch enjoyed it.

There definitely are ways if you think outside the box, but parking outside near the gate is not one of them.

5. TomB

TomB Active Member

I have parked outside the gate a picnic point and snuck in many times before it opened. They cant pin trespassing on you unless they catch you in the act. If they ever saw me I would say I wasnt in the park because I was beloe the mean high tide line and that I had walked there from somewhere else.
    -Tom :D :thumb: