Every single SRC in the sound

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by daveypetey, Jun 29, 2013.

1. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    This morning was unbelievable. I hope others were out there getting after it. I only have 3 weeks left in Seattle, but short of getting into a pink of king, I could leave today a happy man.

I got to one of my favorite beaches at 5am, saw a bald eagle and rigged up. A good current moved along the beach and once I had reached a small point IT WAS ON! I lost count pretty quick, and only moved 30' back and forth over the next 2.5 hours. I could not believe that that many SRC's were stacked up in the same spot. I rotated through 6 or 7 flies I tied up last night, and must have caught 30+ fish, and missed as many. It got to the point where I would just bring them into a few feet of my feet and then let the line go slack so they could shake the barbless hooks out. Just incredible.

Thanks to everyone who has given me pointers and advice along the way, especially Steve Knapp and everyone at The Avid Angler. It has been a great year here in Seattle, and I hope to squeeze a few more days in before I drive away.

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Awesome!:) Nice work being at the beach at 5 am. I woke up at 5 am this morning, too stiff from yesterday's fun to drag the carcass out the door. I've been working out the kinks, and should be able to flow outside at any time, now.:D

3. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

I think that bald eagle was a good omen!!

Way to go, DP! :)

james.jimenez likes this.
  4. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Jim Wallace.....quit complaining.....it is great to wake up stiff in the morning.....whine, whine , whine.....

5. Ryan Couch

Ryan Couch New Member

you guys have any tips on what kind of fly to use for some cuts I am new to fly fishing and going to try fishing up here in Everett before work one of these days prob down by the ferry any ideas I tied a orange white and silver flash clouser minnow do u think it would work?

6. sroffe

sroffe Member

You didn't get every SRC. You left a few for me this evening. Nice evening in MA11

daveypetey and Stonefish like this.
  7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Nice work. I really wanted to get up early this morning and hit the beach, but after a long weekend at a bike polo tournament I was feeling a little bit destroyed. Looks like I'll have to try and hit it tomorrow morning.

Can't wait to get salty!

8. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    Yeah that will work for sure. I really think there are a ton of options that will work, almost all of which you can tie up quick, easy, and much cheaper and more durable in the salt than almost anything you can buy. I have just been googling patterns all year and tying them up. But what I have found works best is just about anything chartreuse (or neon green) and hot pink. Tying up clousers with extra flash in really small sizes (8-10ish) has been doing the trick lately.

Also I am not sure how the other guys feel about it, but a 5 ft intermediate clear sinking tip that you just loop onto your floating line and then tie on some tippet seems to be a great addition.

Cheers

9. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Sounds like you had an epic morning brother! Work has kept me off the water way too much this summer. Hopefully I'll be able to get out mor eonce the fall hits. Thanks for the report! Where are you headed from WA?