Everyone needs a little Chummin...

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Tightline, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Tightline Brian Perry

Seattle, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Everybody needs to do some Chummin...

Thursday night picked up my buddies from the Airport. They flew in from Atlanta to chase some big fish. Neither one of them has caught Coho, Chum or Steelhead.
    First thing Friday morning, I hitched up the Trailer and headed to the Skaugit. I wanted to start the trip chasing Bulls, and Chums since they were pretty much a sure thing, and I hadn't been out for Chum this year. Spent the whole day on three rivers in the area and had marginal luck. First things first... we laced up the 6wts and went looking for some rock gardens to hunt some Bulls. We swung "Egg sucking Cop Cars" and purple leaches and managed one nice fish in a few hours of fishing. I wanted to keep hunting Bulls, but by buddies REALLY wanted to fight some Chums. After lunch we went with the 9wts and switched rivers. The rest of the day was spent casting to rolling chum...... nothing seemed interested in what we had to offer. Didn't catch one... could only manage to snag a few...we couldn't seem to get the fly deep enough. That evening was spent concocting a heavy ass Chum fly. In a late night drunken tying stupor, I made a jacked up looking pink thing that was heavy... its all I wanted. I liked it, so I made em in green, purple, and pink... just to have some options. Early the next morning we decided to head to a different river and check things out. Glad we did. Lots of fresh Chum, and Coho... even caught a whitefish. The fly of choice was the "Trixie Princess" in pink....The Chums would hit the dead drifted fly using a heavy sinking tip, with a heavy fly, and the Coho seemed to like the swung fly that was in their zone.

Throughout the weekend the weather was pretty good, (got some sun, and some rain)- the beer flowed well, the big fish pulled, and my buddies went home happy. Now time for some Steel....
  2. jabseattle jabs

Desert Dweller
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Sweet Report B!! iagree
  3. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    That's awesome, great pics.
  4. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    Breakfast of Champions right there! :thumb:
  5. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Wow those are some fat fat salmon, the ones I cast too usuallly run in the 5-7 pound range and are drawfed by those. God I miss fishing
  6. Reeltrout Member

Kirkland, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I was heading out of my driveway on Sunday at 5:30 am to meet for breakfast at my favorite early am gourmet spot in Monroe, aka Denny's, (where my buddy Mike has been going there so long he remembers the same waitress who is still there, from his days in high school... at least 25 years ago....no way but he swears it's true...)......... then all of a sudden my message light came on my cell phone and it was from the guy I was heading up to buy a Grand Slam (meal for the day the way we fish)... he was calling me in the middle of the night, mumbling to the phone that he was coming down with something and was not going to make it, but would call me if he was still up at 6 am.. bummer. I figured the guy must have been up well into the middle of the night.... So I put the car in park, turned off the ignition, and went inside and back to bed. From seeing these photos now I really wish I had kept going and had gone out for chums. You Da Man! :)
  7. LeakyTiki Member

Tulalip, Wa, USA
    Nice work Tighty!!

Got them Georgia boys into some dandies it looks like, they won't forget that for awhile.

Peace,
    LT :beer2:

ps. Whats this about changing over to Rainier? Next thing it'll be EarlyTimes...We need to nip this in the bud :cool:
  8. Flip The dumb kid

Lk Stevens WA
    chummy.... chummy. say .. whats that cute lil stream you got there? most of the chums im ketching now are moldy :eek:
  9. Tightline Brian Perry

Seattle, Wa, USA.
    Dude... you KNOW its been early times for a while now. Rainier, and early times.... speaking of which, we need to wet a line and put some down.

Flip- no secrets man... you've been there. I guarantee it. :cool:

~B
  10. Flip The dumb kid

Lk Stevens WA
    oh? do tell. ive been to everywhere and then some, but i cant place it. :confused:

ptyd
  11. Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Omaha, NE / Council Bluffs, IA
    EXCELLENT photos! The one of the fish heading into the camera is brilliant.
  12. loneangler New Member

Your City ,State
    hey, cool pics, where did you get them this late, that bright?
  13. Tightline Brian Perry

Seattle, Wa, USA.
    That was weeks ago. All the fishing was done Skagit-Sauk-Stilly, and such. I don't know how bright they'd be now.

~B