Excellent New Stillwater Book

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tim Lockhart, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Just bought "Effective Stillwater Fly Fishing: An Analytical Approach," brand new from Michael Gorman (30+ year guide and fly fishing teacher at Oregon State University). IMO there aren't nearly enough published works on the subject, and this book has a lot to offer. The photos alone are numerous and first rate, including a multitude of close-ups of flies and actual trout foods. Chironomid entomology, imitation and methods of presentation are thoroughly covered, as are night fishing, "getting over the hump" for non-stillwater guys, and recommended equipment and fly patterns to name a few. Nicely polished, and certainly makes its own unique contributions to lake fishing. I hope stillwater guys keep bringing forth their experience and knowledge for everyone to share like this. Well done.

-Tim

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I'll probably get a copy but it won't be autographed like the copy I have of your book.

Looking forward to fishing with you again. Pass weekend after this??

Scott, AKA Micro Brew

3. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    I think I can do that. Long time, was Roper's party the last time we fished together??

4. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Well crap, if your recommending it Time, I guess I'll have to pick it up. Are you signing your book again at the fly show this year? Maybe Michael's book will be there and I can spend my hard earned working at the show cash on it.

Hmmm, more guys writing about stillwater fly fishing. It is one of my New Years Resolutions.

5. jwg

jwg Active Member

Hi Tim
    I enjoyed your own book and took a major lesson from it to get a type 5 line and cast and strip leeches. I put this to good use last season. I had some sinking lines I used trolling but none of them had cast very well. I've enjoyed searching and catching by casting and stripping since.

I continue to use other methods I already knew, of course, especially indicator fishing chironomids.

Since you've seen the new book, does it have any major take away lessons?

Does it cover presentations of different food sources with a clear intermediate Line?

jay

6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    A whole book dedicated to presentation of various food sources with a clear intermediate line is "Stillwater Presentation" by Denny Rickards. Lots of insight into how to approach the shallows and upper water column based on all sorts of environmental factors, cues to determine what fish are feeding on, matching retrieve to patterns and food sources, etc. Denny ties some decent patterns too :)

7. jwg

jwg Active Member

Thanks.
    I have Rickards ...Trophy Trout book.
    I'll have to take a look at the ... Presentation book.
    Jay

8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Oregon State does a lot of the science studies for salmon ,steel and trout in our state.

My friends son went to OSU and he signed up for a steelhead fishing class and had all this home work including tying flies. They taught all kinds of presentations from gear to fly and since the young guy was very new to steelheading I took him and his father (my softball coach, I was manager) and my daughter and we all floated the Siletz river in Oregon for his homework. Well I guess he got an A in the class and had a blast doing it! The teacher was a fly fishing guide, I wonder if it's the same guy.

Oregon state does tons of work for the whole western states in the fisheries department. Like IRA said if fender recommends it, it can't be all that bad, and with the subjects mentioned I think I actually may look for this one and it may have many of my home waters I already fish.

I have to give Ford a "two thumbs up" for the mention of this book - what a stand-up guy!
    Thanks for posting Ford.

Jeff Dodd and doublespey like this.
  9. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I will have to put this on my list of books to look for at the fly fishing show (hopefully they have that book booth again) I am determined this year to finally get dialed in chironomid fishing instead of being distracted by bass and panfish...GO Beavs.

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I still own the first Sage rod introduced before they even gave them numbers. I guess it was a Sage Sage. Mike Gorman built the rod for me when he owned the Scarlet Ibis.

I'm kind'a surprised he wrote a book in regards to stillwaters. Way back when, he was more into steelhead flyfishing than anything else. He invented the Green Butt Pink, which eventually became the caballero.... but I still catch most of my steelhead using the original design Green Butt Pink.

Anyway, guess I'll have to seek out the book. If O'Keefe shot the photos, they should be top grade.

11. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Gene, What was the name of their rod crunching shop kitty? Scarlett??

12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I don't know the name of the cat. When the shop first opened is when I decided to go exclusively with flyfishing and give up the spin rod. I also started stopping by the shop each night after work.

Mike and his Dad ran the business. There was no cat at that time. His Dad was a hoot and the friendliest guy you'd ever meet. I'd ask him how he was doing and he'd tell me he never had a bad day in his life.

But it was a sad day when he passed on.

Patrick Allen likes this.
  13. Duane J

Duane J Member

Tim, Ira and all: I didn't think I was going to add to my library, but Tim's word has stirred my lust. And I am already saving space on the shelf for your contribution to still fishing, Ira. I hope to make it to the February fly fishing show to meet Tim and have him autograph his "Stillwater How-to" just completed. They join others I have plied for knowledge and entertainment {in order of their purchase}: "Flyfishing Still Waters" by Donald V. Roberts, "Fly Fishing the Mountain Lakes" by
    Gary Lafontaine, and Canadian Jack Shaw's "Fly Fish the Trout Lakes." I have others but these stand out with Tim's as must reads.Thanks, Duane

they

Irafly likes this.
  14. candr

candr Daryl

Good book! I picked it up based on Tim's recommendation. Who's idea was it for the "day on the water" style commentary in these Stillwater books - eg: 8am launched tube, started out fishing intermediate line, caught two fish, 9am switched to indicator etc ? I first noticed it in Tim's book and I see it in this book as well. It's a good way to break down a day on the water and captures the systematic way a good stillwater angler goes about their day on a particular body of water.

15. Porter

Porter Active Member

Thanks for tip!

16. jwg

jwg Active Member

While there are times on stillwater when you can see and react, many stillwater problems are solved as a result of multiple observations, and knowledge of the lake structure, and elements of experience, coming together. And then things shut down and you have to figure it out again!

Such day on the water narratives really help teach how to do this.

Jay

Irafly likes this.
  17. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    When I attended Oregon State I took the fly fishing course that Mike Gorman taught (early 1990s). I didn't realize he has been publishing books, so thanks for the recommendation. He was very excited about stealth fly fishing for steelhead in skinny water at the time, and liked the Metolious for trout. Too bad his class didn't have any field trips in those days! The next term I took the steelhead fishing class from a different instructor, an old school gear guy. We tied lots of sailor knots and yarnies, but I didn't learn much. I always regretted not fishing for steelhead and salmon in those days, but I never had any extra money for gas or flies.

Jeff Dodd and Mark Kraniger like this.
  18. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    My copy of Effective Stillwater Flyfishing just arrived yesterday. Good stuff! I know what I'll be reading this weekend while the cold front moves through . . .

19. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I'm planning on using his bloodworm pattern next week when the warmer weather returns.

20. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

DimeBrite we may have taken the same classes , I graduated Oregon State 92'. I consider Michael Gorman a friend and mentor who really got me into fly fishing. His last book Gorilla Steelhead tactics was great and I can't wait to read his new one

DimeBrite likes this.