Excellent Weekend and Some Fishing

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Ed Call, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Got myself a kitchen pass. Headed to a location reported to have some hatchery fish. Left late Friday after a funciton at the girls' school. Drove all the way and camped at the place to fish the next morning. Fished with several really great folks from this site. Wanted to do my part in removing that resource from the natural spawning habitat. Did not catch it on a bead. Did not catch it while fishing with a bobber. She was small, but feisty enough to make my click pawl sing and she tasted nice for dinner. Note the lack of true smile, in honor of the chap taking the photo...who never smiles. Fished with several WFF members. Great times with great tour guides that are some fishy folks. Thanks to each of you for a great time. Departed the water at Noon today and got to see the route in daylight. What an amazing route and so much large and small water to explore. Delightful weekend sleeping in my rig at the side of the river...more of that as soon as possible.

[​IMG]

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Quit being so modest... You skated up a freaking steelhead. That doesn't suck.

3. Ed Call

Media:
    Nope, did not suck at all. Sucks that it took me so long to learn how to do that the right way. Wish I could have fed a mouse to her big brother!

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    It took you all of two casts to learn how to do it the right way. All I had to say was "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! blah blah blah" and you got it.

5. Ed Call

Media:
    The one I did wrong was a lot bigger. I saw that big fish head rise with its mouth wide open and figured out that I did not know what to do about it. I was ready for the next one. Thanks.

Oh, and just in case Panhandle ever reads this, it was on a switch rod. Perfect tool for the situation.

6. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Media:
    A high praise to you comander. Skating fly's to a chrome bullet please, your Jedi skills have awarded you a new level.

7. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Sweet stuff, well done.

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sounds like a "one that got away" story to me

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Yes, but you saw it, you saw what I did and you were screaming NOOOOOOOOO because you knew I screwed it up major.

10. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

ok, great report, good pic too :) ...but i'm curious....what you did wrong with the one that got away.... I'm still really new to steelhead fishing, and it may do me good to know so I try not to do the same thing when I get one on finally ;)

11. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    i think he is to busy swining up b runs to post right now, but im sure he will see this.

12. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    so were you planning on some sort of mountain expedition afterwards?

13. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Is it the nano-whatever studmuffin jacket or have you lost about 20 lbs? Nice work Ed, consider the muff your mulligan.

14. Ed Call

Media:
    I saw the head rise, mouth open then close around my fly. I lifted my rod tip only to pull the fly from the mouth of the beast. My friend, rather than flip me shit for being a dumbass screamed NOOOOOOOO, then corrected my action. See the head rise, see the mouth open, see the mouth close, drop your rod tip, even give a bit of line and sloooooowly move your rod tip toward the bank (behind you). Wait for the tension on the line as the fish takes this "slack" you've give it and the fish will take care of the rest. It worked. I stayed calm. I can repeat this when approp

Yeah, somewhere in South East Alaska where there are more than enough fashion freaking critics that give two shits what other people wear. The air temp was 39 when I got out of my sleeping bag in the back of my truck. It was probably about 45 by the time I caught this fish and my mountain expedition jacket went into my pack shortly after landing this little fish of mine. Did I explain myself enough for you powder monkey?

15. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Media:
    Congrats, Ed. Nice job. Looks like the weather in north central WA was a bit chilly this weekend.

16. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Awesome job skating that one up Ed! I wish I could have been there to see it. Next time... Maybe I'll start skating some mice. Hey, I know just the perfect thing to make the body out of, sans propellers of course, lol!

And AK, my thermometer read 28 degrees earlier that morning and there was frost on the windshield. We all don't live in fish in temperate Seattle.

17. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    not to mention he uses the exact same lanyard system ^

18. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Ed, it's a rush when they do that, eh? As you're f'ng it up, you just know what you're doing is wrong, but reflex takes over and you just can't help it.
    Oh, yeah, Ed; regarding the clothing/temperatures. Sounds like Spring or late summer in APM's country. Get yo ass up there someday, you'll love it.

19. Ed Call

Media:
    Robert, Alaska is on my to do list, but the list is so extensive and my time to fish so limited. I need to win the lottery and really retire.

20. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Nice job Ed! I have yet to skate one up, hope that'll change soon. Those kind of hall passes are gold!!