Experimental PMD Emerger - success

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jim Speaker, Jul 30, 2014.

1. I finally had a chance to field-test an experimental PMD emerger I dreamt up last year. I started getting tons of strikes and eliminated the refusals I was seeing before I tied it on. I landed a mess of fish on this fly yesterday evening.

CDC Bubble-back PMD Emerger

943417_10201298999940196_1359624003_n.jpg

Hook: #16 TMC 2487
    Tail: Pheasant Tail
    Rib: One strand of pearl flashabou, twisted tight into a thin cord.
    Body: Pheasant tail
    Wing Case: Pearl flashabou, enlarged loopback
    Under Wing Case: Natural CDC
    Thorax: Peacock
    Thread: Black

The idea is that the bubble is an enlarged loopback of pearl flashabou, with CDC under it as a loopback also, tied so the ends stick out like legs... this "bubble" traps a ton of air, resulting in a fly that just floats with the bubble in the film. It works great, is visible, floats when dry. But the real proof was in the pudding, tons of strikes and fish landed when they were being finicky and showing many refusals to other patterns.

P7290012.JPG

2. I really like your pattern!

Jim Speaker likes this.
  3. Looks good to me and more importantly, to the fish.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  4. Very nice report. I fished some PMD hatches earlier in the year and plan to target nymphs/emergers the next time I find them.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  5. Awesome tie.....I was into some fussy browns sipping PMD emergers in the lower surface film recently. Would have loved to try that one. I also dig your use of CDC as usual....you got me hooked on it last year.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  6. Good-looking bug

Jim Speaker likes this.
  7. That's the way it's done, good on ya! Have you tried different colors? Purple?

Jim Speaker likes this.
  8. Ha! Purple! As much as that color is effective (eg purple haze) I wouldn't sully this pattern with it.

However, now that I've verified it's effectiveness for PMD hatches I plan to do some variations, like a bubble-back pattern for baetis emergers... olive biot body and a cream antron shuck.

Ron Eagle Elk and tinman207 like this.
  9. Nice tie, looks like a bit easier than a parachute (for me anyway). Gonna have to try that with a good local color. Thanks!

Jim Speaker likes this.
  10. fishy looking bug!!

Jim Speaker likes this.