Explain it to me like I'm 5: Picnic Point

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Fairways_and_Greens, Oct 4, 2013.

1. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

If you think fishing the beach entails less casting and more catching, you're under false illusions. I've been doing this a long time and it's always hard work. Trout fishing is the only one that get's the ratio of casts per fish down.

Leland

2. Jeff Sturm

Jeff Sturm Member

Had a great day yesterday in MA-13. Several small cutts to hand on a chartreuse and white minnow. My M. popper got harassed on almost every cast, but nothing stuck. Switched to the minnow and it was the ticket. Had lunch and a beer while the tide turned and hit it again on the incoming after switching to an Intermediate line. Overall, a pretty good day on the beach...Also, I found another good spot after seeing some cars (in particular, a certain Subaru) parked along the road and noted some guys on the beach...

And, all that "casting practice" in the north Sound paid off...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

3. Opps, double post.

4. Not sure where I said I was expecting anything. Respectful, I just asked for tips for working a specific beach near my house...

5. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

WOW, all he wants is for us to put a fish on his hook with out putting the time and effort the rest of us have!

Pat Lat, Nick Clayton and Jason Rolfe like this.
  6. cook

cook Member

Your flies look familiar--you may be the guy I met on the beach yesterday. Hope you had a fun morning--not sure this will make you feel better or not, but it took me nearly 4 years after moving here(4 salmon seasons) to finally catch salmon in the salt. We're probably fishing similar locations and I've not yet caught a cutthroat in the salt. I've put in some time, but really just one day for a few hours a weekend to keep things balanced with family time and other fun stuff. Looking at it this way and adding in the variables of tides, currents, weather and time of day you're out there, chances get narrowed a bit--these fish cover a lot of area. On this forum, there's a huge range of experience, and sometimes I realize that a lot of people get much more time on the water than I do. Overall, make sure your having fun and the experience is still relaxing and life giving even when you're not catching--if not, well...

7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Exactly. Funny to me how often folks go looking for a silver bullet.

8. Hey Cook, it was nice meeting you. Looks like both your Cowboys and my Hawks didn't have good days.

No need to explain the time required to snag a SRC, I was just trying to figure out how to work a beach. I can only assume the guys implying that I'm looking for a silver bullet or shortcut didn't read my post or are trolling.

Let me know the next time you're in the area.

9. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

I have a vested interest in selling books. That said, nothing beats time on the water, especially after you've got a good idea of where to go and what to look for.

Fish your brains out.

I would sign up for Leland's next class,as he is an expert and a very nice guy. I would invest in a good pair of waders, rain gear, maps, a notebook and lots of fuel. I would find at least two rocky, pebbly, barnacle- studded beaches. Extra points for creek outflows, points, oyster beds or bags, rocks and fallen trees. Even more points for no bulkheads.

Fish your brains out.

Consider saving up a modest amount of money and spending it on a good guide for the day. Say, someone like Bob Triggs.

Fish your brains out.

Keep you eyes open, learn how your beaches fish during the entire period of incoming and outgoing tides. A magical rip may form for an hour or so in the middle of a falling tide. Time on the water. Know how your beaches fish. Learn how to call in sick from time to time.

Fish your brains out, and, most importantly, have fun. It's beautiful out there, and you'll see things that blow you away....

Bulldogge likes this.
  10. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

I've done well at PP and other beaches in the area. I fish a rio outbound full floater or just a regular DT or WF full floater. The water around PP isn't deep enough for me to feel like an intermediate line or tip would help.

I fish small clousers type flies off of 6-8wt rod. 8wt is overkill for SRC, but can help punch out a heavier fly through heavier winds and if you hood a salmon, you'll be happy. I tend to stick with 8lb max ultragreen tippet. Maybe 10 if I'm really expecting salmon, but even with salmon and steelhead, 8 is my choice. If I hitting chums, I'll switch to 10-12. For SRC, when the wind is calm, water clear, i'll even drop down to 6lb and smaller flies.

I tie up some no-name stuff that they seem to like. Olive sculpin patterns really got the SRC excited when others around me were struggling with clousers.

11. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

So I tie generally ugly nameless flies - but they work for me. Top fly here in olive worked great.
    [​IMG]

All of these got hits:
    [​IMG]

I also love these as all around fresh and salt water bait fish patterns - cutties love them as do the silvers.
    [​IMG]

Some sculping type patterns.
    [​IMG]

Bottom shrimp \ plankton like patterns worked well for me too. Simple to tie and fish well.
    [​IMG]

With each of these, I cast about as far as I can (after I've worked in close - do wade after I have worked the shore. I try to reach rips, drop offs, even finding areas where there are depressions, boulders, etc that may hold the fish. The more familar you are with an area, you'll figure out where this type of stuff is. And expect it change now and then... I cast out, let it sink to the bottom, and strip in. Some times fast, other times slow. Sometimes letting it drop again to the bottom, and repeat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DimeBrite likes this.
  12. salt dog

salt dog card shark

I have always enjoyed Picnic Pt Beach...used to fish it a lot more than I do now; mostly because it's so convenient for me, but also because there are so few accessible beaches on East side of MA9 to fish. That's also why the major fly shops giving classes on fly fishing the salt generally go to Pic Pt Beach - easy access.

Over the last 8 years, lots of fly fishermen new to the salt have learned 'how to' at this beach...and generally continue to fish it, long and hard, since it may be the only beach they know is suposed to hold fish from time to time. Time was that I was all by myself on the beach at dawn and would have 4-8 fish mornings in the spring and summer, and some times skunked. The skunkings got less over time, mostly because I was learning when it wasn't worth fishing and when it was. Sometimes I went down to the beach even when I didn't think fishing would be good but just needed to air out the brain pan...some of those days turned out to be stupendous fishing days and I'd learn something new about that beach. Now, the average weekend morning there are 4-8 fishermen on the beach and a couple of them will maybe catch a fish, or get skunked.

It's certainly never been about numbers once winter hits as most of the fish have moved up the Snohomish River by end of October; but I've caught SeaRun Cutthroat and Coho off Pic Pt Beach in December, just not any numbers. If you want to fish good numbers the South Sound has a wholly different ecosystem and SRC remain in the salt right up till they make their spawning run. Enjoy.

chadk likes this.
  13. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Wow! Chadk and Salt Dog with back to back posts. It's been awhile since that's happened in the saltwater forum.

chadk likes this.
  14. nic

nic Member

i'm sure there are quite a few dudes on the site that are interested in a SRC class but live to far to attend.

ever considered a laptop conference call on skype during the class or a podcast?

i'm sure there are others, like myself, who would gladly pay for an online SRC class .

15. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

I know that I would.

16. Jered

Jered Active Member

Less typing more fishing...

11.16.13 SRC.JPG

17. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Damn. That's a great looking fish.

18. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Buy, and read Chester Allen's book!

19. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Leland's class is sweet. Worth the drive from anywhere

And jered that fish is awesome. Nice work

20. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

If you can't make my class buy Chester's book.

Leland.

Chester Allen likes this.