exploring streams

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by baseballandfishing, Oct 13, 2002.

1. baseballandfishing New Member

covington, wa, usa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    i been looking around and i see alot of nice streams and rivers in the mountains. my question is do most rivers around there have trout in them or would it not be worth it? i mean kinda of way up in the mtns. i know some may be very good fishing and some may not, but what about in general?
    joey
  2. SuperDave New Member

.Spanaway, WA
    Generally, cold and swift mountain streams do NOT harbor trout of any size. An 8 incher would be a whale. Some, like Skate Creek near Packwood, are planted in the summer but the carry-over rate is vertually non-existant. Do a little scouting and you'll find very little insect habitat and therefore few trout. As always, find the "chow" and you'll find the trout.
  3. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Yes, there is little in the way of food for big trout, but both cutts and bull trout are known to do well in the streams and rivers of the west side.

A friend of mine has a long list of streams that he claims to want to show me that are full of bull trout. So I have it on pretty good authority that there are some that are full of fish. Its just the standard BS that there are no fish except salmon, steelhead and SRCs in our streams and rivers.

And cutts, the real scavengers that they are, are 4" fish in trickles, 6-8" in small streams, and 12+ in rivers, without going to the sea. Its just that there are not huge populations of them. So if you want to fish small streams, go right ahead.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!
  4. SuperDave New Member

.Spanaway, WA
    I never said don't fish small streams. I said cold and rapid MOUNTAIN streams are devoid of significant trout populations because there is insufficient available food. Follow the food chain.
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,708 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

I really would not like to call you wrong. I've got several places that I go to at different times in the summer and the fish that I catch are not 6" and 8" long. I've got them as big as 21" long but these places I would not give out as I've had to find them on my own. But I'll give you a hint they are within a 75 mile radius of Everett.

Jim
  6. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Trust me, you will have better luck with mountain/alpine lakes than mountain/alpine streams. I've caught beautiful fat brook trout as big as 18" in alpine lakes. Technique used is roll casting. A float tube would be great, but the alpine lakes I've been to are at least a 5 mile hike in. Good luck!

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19
  7. baseballandfishing New Member

covington, wa, usa.
    so basically the streams up there will have some fish but probably not alot? yea i know the lakes are good up there but i just cant catch fish in lakes but maybe cause ive been fishing from shore, im definetely getting a tube before next year
  8. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    cold mountain streams are where bull trout live and reproduce, so they are there, too.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!
  9. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    In alpine/mountain lakes, the roll cast from shore is the only cast allowable where I go. Walk in the lake if the bottom is not too muddy, depending on what lake you go to. Hebgen Lake in MT allowed my wife and I up to our ribs, all gravel bottom!

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19
  10. redgibber New Member

Anacortes, Washington, USA.
    Your title says it all. Do you want to catch trout in streams? Then your going to have to explore. Use maps of your area, find a stream and hike it. It takes practice because some streams are protected by lots of brush and rugged terrain. But most have a trout population. I'd stay away from glacial run-off. The water for the most part is turbid and cold, not much insects, so very small or no trout. Use your map. I too have a number of streams in the Mt. Baker area I hike to. I have taken trout over 12" on a regular basis. Theres a stream in the Cascades at the town of Diablo called Statattle Creek you could try. It's closed in its lower couple miles. You have to hike the trail up. I took a 14" on my only trip there. It's cool, but rugged. It closes on Oct. 31, so hurry. Check the regs. Good luck.