Exterior Rod Holders

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by NCL, Oct 14, 2013.

1. NCL

NCL Active Member

I have been thinking about getting an exterior rod holder to travel from spot to spot with an assembled rod. I had decided that Sumo magnets seemed to be the way to go due to the suction design having some issues in cold weather, then I heard that Sumo was having problems with their magnets. So I was looking and came across a magnetic rod holder from Tight Line which seemed about the same as the Sumo but a little cheaper in price. My questions are is there validity in regards to Sumo having problems with their magnets? Opinions on Sumo verus Tight-Line? Thanks

2. Jaydub

Jaydub Member

I have the Tight Line rod rack. It's worked great for me. I have no experience with the Sumo.

3. Spencer Woods

Spencer Woods Member

SUMO just upgraded the cups in their suction mounts. The new cups are solid! They claim it fixed the cold weather issue. I can't comment yet as it's not cold enough to put them through the test.

4. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

I mounted two ten foot PVC tubes to my car, then epoxied a tool box to them. Flip open the toolbox and slide them in and the reel sit in the toolbox. Works great and its cheap. I evened painted the PVC to look like a rainbow trout. Its a lot more ghetto and redneck, but its also cheaper

Kyle Smith, whalenblue and Freestone like this.
  5. NCL

NCL Active Member

Thanks to all for the comments,they are appreciated.

6. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

7. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Probably not the best plan available, and one of those AW CRAP not well thought out scenarios. I have always thought that those surf fishermen that have a row of plastic pipe attached to the front bumper of their beach buggy with several fifty foot rods sticking vertically into the air, was a bit of overkill also.

8. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

9. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I know this isn't what you asked for, but I came across this on a truck forum in my own search for a more permanent rod mount. It's well done and looks good--credit goes to PistolPete.

Attached Files:

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I don't worry about rod holders. I just buy a rig that lets you fit a rod in it all together. Like my Subaru was and now my Pick-me-up. I just stick it in the back and poke my set up rod through the back window. Works just fine with a 9' rod.