Fabrique nationale d'armes de guerre herstal belgique

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Trent, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Trent

Trent Ugly member

I recently came into posession of the gun, but haven't the slightest clue what it is. I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about them. It reads on the left side, fabrique nationale d'armes de guerre herstal belgique on the top and underneath is, browning's patent depose. Underneath the depose is some weird symbols, in order from left to right: Something that looks like a walking lizard (man with a tail), then a strait line, next is a P.V, followed by something that looks like a star, then a B, and last is something that looks like an arrow pointing towards the rear. There is an identical set of symbols on the gun from directly beneath. Also, under the word belique are 2 other symbols: the left one is a big NP with a little V under the P's loop. The only way I can think to describe the one on the right is a dog with sun rays coming out of it. Also, on the trigger guard the is a V in a circle. This is all on the left side of the gun. On the right side is what I believe to be the serial number and an identical V but in a square instead still on the trigger guard. There are also some more symbols on the barrel. I cannot find any markings on it for what caliber it is. The pistol grips are engarved with a FN. The gun is 4 1/2 inches long and 3 inches tall.

Any info on it would be apprieciated, I have been searching on line, but no matches. The closest I have come is the FN 1910, similar sights and design.

Here are the pictures.
    Thanks trent.

2. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I don't want to break any FFF rules by referring you to another forum. I apologize in advance if this is wrong. I suggest you try posting on Shooting Sportsman forum under Guns and Ammunition. There are some authorities for sporting arms there that will probably be able to answer your question.

3. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Thanks for the info Karl. I just stumbled upon two articles that informed me of what it is. It's a FN 1905/1906 (patent was in 1905, manufacturing started in 1906), also known as the FN Vest Pocket. I believe it is chambered for .25 cal, not sure though, it is not marked on the gun. I'm guessing at it's age, but from what I have found so far on the serial numbers, I'm guessing it was made somewhere in the mid to late 20s, or the early 30s.

Again, thanks for the info.

4. kholy

kholy New Member

Fabrique nationale d'armes de guerre herstal belgique-Help required

Hi guys,

I came across this old rifle written on it "Fabrique nationale de armes de guerre herstal belgique". I couldn't find anything online about the caliber, name, year...etc.

Can anyone help me with the above or suggest anything at least about the caliber.

Thanks & regards,

TK

5. [WR]

[WR] Member

Trent,
    look someplace for 6.35 or 6.35mm stamped into it. that would confirm it being a .25

kholy,
    give us a better pic of both side plates of that carbine. most of the information you need is there or stamped at or before the barrel/receiver joint. it's looking like an 1898 strait bolt carbine but without the rest of the information stamped on it, can't help much.

6. kholy

kholy New Member

Trent,

Thanks for the info. I tried 6.35mm and it came out to be too small. I even tried the 9mm short and no success. Stamped on it before the receiver joint "FLN 93" and this is the only stamp available, any ideas??

7. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Fabrique nationale d'armes de guerre herstal belgique-Help required

I've never seen an FN that old with sporting engraving and a stock like that. If it was military it would be relatively easy. Look at what mauser rounds were popular at the time it was made

I would go to a good old gun shop and ask if it's a 8x57 (7.92x57mm). After world war II there were some chambered for 30-06. I guess because we won and didn't use all our bullets...

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
  9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    The marks you describe sound like proof marks to me, so I'd begin my search with the guilds that operated around Liege prior to the 20th century. The straight bolt tells me it's probably pre-WWII, but FN is relatively modern. Did you check to see if all the serial numbers are matched?

10. kholy

kholy New Member

Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I measured the bore & it's 8.5mm. I couldn't find any ammunition around to fit that caliber.

TK

11. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    If you really want to know, get it slugged.