Fall City Casting

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by _WW_, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Merle Not New, Just rarely post...

Black Diamond, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Tried fishing the Snocrummy Saturday afternoon, once the temps soared into the mid twenties, thinking maybe the high water last week might have brought a pulse of new fish in. The river was in nice shape, except for floating softball sized chunks of ice. Only fished long enough for my guides and line to get thoroughly coated in ice. I caught less than 10 steelhead... a lot less.:)
    constructeur likes this.
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    I don't think there any particular rules for what you do. I was testing a sweet, custom built bamboo single in the parking lot and no one gave me shit for it. I loved that rod. One of the reasons I have avoided bamboo is the fact I knew I would fall in love with them. I already have to many interests to drain my bank account with without adding grass rods to the mix.
    constructeur and Porter like this.
  3. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    Setting up the new bamboo spey rod...
    [IMG]

Casting the new "boo" spey. And yes that is ice on the river.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

A lot more people here than I figured would be. There are more outside of the shot.
    [IMG]
  4. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +351 / 1
    Aaron is a certified two hand casting instructor and I believe he is a single hand Master Casting Instructor, as well. You can't do muchbetter than him.
    Upton O likes this.
  5. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Those bamboo two handers were beautiful. It was very interesting to learn how the rods are joined by taping the sections together, rather than with ferrules.

Kerry, I was the one who interrupted you and WW to talk about Occupy.

That was my first time coming out for the Saturday casting thing. I didn't end up doing any casting, but I hope to go by there in the future and learn a bit from Aaron. He seemed like a really nice guy.

I fished a bit as well yesterday on a different part of the river. The highlight of my couple hours fishing was the fact that some other guys had built a fire at the gravel bar I went to, and it was nice to stand around that warming up between swinging sessions.

Even with the cold, I can't complain. It was a beautiful day to be outside.

J
  6. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    Having your fly catch a small iceberg brings a whole new meaning to the term 'sustained anchor'!

The rod is called "Summer Run" and is a 7wt at 11'-9" in three pieces spliced, and held with hockey tape. Simply gorgeous with red agate stripper guides and thread to match.
    The hockey tape thing will take a little practice - although not having numb fingers is sure to improve any attempt. :)

Nice to meet you Jason! Stay tuned for more info on 'Occupy II'
    Chris DeLeone and Chris Johnson like this.
  7. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +320 / 1
    Sounds like fun
    Chris DeLeone likes this.
  8. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    Hockey tape,well it is a canadian made rod I guess. I have never seen imported canadian hockey tape in a fly shop for tapeing speyrods, now all you need is a southbend perfect to match it...
  9. jsuyes FFF-CCI

Kent, Wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Is there still a spey practice session on the Skykomish on Sunday? Last I heard it was at the Ben Howard Boat Launch 9-12am. Is that still the case?
  10. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    That ended with the closeing of All About The fly shop in monroe
  11. Cascadian New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    I saw quite a few guys with spey rods this past Saturday in Fall City and I figured that it was this casting clinic that I read about here. However, I was gear fishing with a buddy so I didn't have a chance to stop and talk to anyone. I am wondering if this happens every Saturday?

I have a 11' 6wt switch rod that I bought hoping to get into spey and skagit style casting. While I have used it several times and caught a few fish on it, my casts are not pretty and I feel as though my line setup is not correctly matched to the rod. I would love for someone to take a look at this setup and cast it a few times to let me know if I have a problem with my setup or if I just need to keep practicing my casting technique.
  12. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    Ditto that!
  13. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    That is my understanding.
  14. William Wallace Active Member

Chesterton IN
    Ratings: +200 / 0
    Sent you a PM.
  15. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Aaron does it virtually every Saturday, He's been doing it for at least 15 years. He used to do it at the confluence of the Told and Snoqualmie Rivers until the floods took out the access road down to it a few years ago. That is when he moved it to Fall City.

Not only is Aaron an excellent casting instructor (he is a FFF certified Master Casting Instructor for single-hand rods and a Two-Hand Certified Instructor) who does this at no charge to anyone who shows up Saturday mornings, he is a class act who brings rods and lines for others to try/use. Aaron is a true gentleman who believes in paying it forward and helping folks learn good spey casting technique from the get-go instead of learning bad habits that would have to be broken and changed. This is why he does this for free.
  16. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +497 / 0
    What a tremendous resource for the fly fisherfolk up that way. I don't know this Aaron character but I wish I could by him beer or three.