Fall on the South Fork of Snoqualmie??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JasonG, Sep 18, 2013.

1. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

I have spent all of my fly fishing time on the South Fork of the Snoqualmie, throwing dry flies in the summer. Fall is pretty much here along with the rain. What do most of you guys do for fishing in the fall? Nymphing? Stop fishing? Just curious. JasonG

2. Stop fiahing gor dink ass trout and start slammin salmon

3. Serious answer get.a twohander

4. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    As it will be getting cooler I will gradually put my trout setup away and head out to the big rivers with my two hander and slam some steelhead and salmon well................atleast try. I am the rookie here after all.

5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Lakes really pick up in the fall when the water cools.
    D

Kent Lufkin and Skysoldier like this.
  6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    You know, some people like to fish for trout. Me being one of them. I used to fish for everything that swam in the Sound and a lot of the Feeder Streams. I always preferred trout over the others.

I also tried the two hander but I went back to the single handed rod. Some people are just better suited with a one handed rod. I had it all. The 14' rod the 6" round reel. The three step line. 9/10/11. My hand tied 12 to 15 foot tapered leaders. Then I sold it all. Just wan't having fun with it. It was like work. And I was retired. Quit it all and now I fish with 3 and 4 wt rods and size 16 to 20 hooks. And having a blast. Don't need a long rod to fish creeks.

7. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

I was hoping there was hope to fish trout all year round.:)

8. Yakima then or targey sea runs

9. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

I fished S Fork Snoqualmie untill middle Oct last year, but the last two weeks were slow, like 1/4 the amount of the trout I rose to dry flies of summer and 80 degree F days. Yakima is a much better bet in Sept and Oct. Rocky Ford stays good year round due to constant water temps. Sorry, dude. Your summer of small dries with willing small trout will end soon. There is always next year on the S Fork.

Skysoldier likes this.
  10. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I've never fished that particular river, but most rivers, if open, can be fished year round nymphing the slots. I wish more rivers were open past October over here.

11. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Everything has a season in this state and the season for alpine moving water is waning quickly. The alpine streams on the west slope of the Cascades seem to start shutting down throughout September. I fished a similar river last Thursday that usually gives up 50+ fish in half a day of fishing in July, and got skunked in the first 4 hours. It was surreal, but not uncommon this time of year. The other suggestions ranging from lakes to anadromous to the Yak are the way to go until next July.

12. 10incher

10incher Active Member

Fall is the best trout fishing of the year in most places. Hint... Mid to large size streams will have more exposed gravel bars and shelves that may be waded. Flows will be low enough to float some water that you never would have attempted in the summer. The size of a stream in it's lowest flow partly dictates the size of the fish, so gear up accordingly. It won't be the seven or nine inch trout in the Snoq you'll be after.

Checkthisout likes this.
  13. Checkthisout

Checkthisout Member

Media:
    Ive had real good luck hitting them right when the rains start and they begin to rise. Makes for wet fishing but the bite is always on. Then when they begin to blowout you can move down into the lower sections and fish for salmon!

14. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

So you were throwing dry flies in the rain??

15. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

If continuing to fish the resident trout streams is your game it is all about stream temperatures. As the temperatures drop into the mid-40s and below the fish change their behavior. The juvenile and smaller adult trout (stuff under say about 10 inches) leave their usual summer/feeding haunts and seeking out safe areas in which to over winter. Those areas typically in complex habitat features - the mains into the large substrate, log jams, root wads, rip-rap, etc. Those smaller fish will spend most of the winter in those habitats. With limited food resources the fish move into survival modes which in this case means refuge from the winter floods. The larger fish tend to move into the larger/deeper pools using that depth and slow currents as their refuge.

Accordingly one needs to adjust their fishing as dedicated by the fish's behavior. This means as we move into the fall the fishing will move downstream (the higher headwater areas will cool sooner than the larger lower reaches). That means that say a 6 weeks from now the Yakima at Ellensburg will fish better at Cle Elum. Once the temperatures drop shift your focus to that larger/deeper water where4 deeply fished nymphs and streamers will be your likely choice. There still can still infrequent bug hatches that may stimulated a "bit". The good news while fishing will be tougher will much lower catch rates the average size will increase dramatically (more apt to find those hatches later in the winter or early spring).

The other thing that will happen is by late November into February the mountain whitefish while collect in the specific large pools for pre-spawn/spawn/post spawn aggregations. It may take some time to find those aggregations; it is not uncommon for all the fish in several miles of year to collect in a single pool. The good news is that the fish will use those same areas year to year unless there are major changes in the river channel. Those white fish can be taken on deeply fished nymphs (usually smallish sized flies) and every once in awhile on dries during an afternoon BWO hatch.

As suggested by the others the alternative is to get in another game; stillwater, steelhead or one of my favorites bull trout.

Curt

Stuart_Stringer likes this.
  16. Checkthisout

Checkthisout Member

Media:
    I put umbrellas over them first.

Thom Collins and 10incher like this.
  17. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Media:
    I fish creeks all way to the closer with dries. I've had some of my best days the last week of October.

18. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

As stated by others, as fall comes, I would shift my attention from streams draining primarily from above the snow-line, to either downstream areas, or streams that drain from lower elevations. You can still fish dries, especially October caddis. A lot of the lower draining streams will fish through November, if they're open. And if they're below anadromous barriers, they're likely going to have sea run cutts, which will also take dries, dead drifted or skated.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  19. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    i saw a few fish rising today to a very sparse caddis hatch. I was getting a little luck on smalls nymphs with a tiny midge dropper but the brookies were slamming my little streamer like no tomorrow. :D

20. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

Thank you for the info!!