Family at Fort Flagler

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Ed Call, Jul 10, 2011.

1. I'm currently laying in bed with my laptop while my wife reads her book next to me. I say to her "hey honey, I want a dutch oven."

She wasn't expecting the picture of the biscuits.

2. I am glad to see that you are perfecting your breakfast. I can't wait!

3. Now that's some funny shit.

Ed, did you roll those in corn meal? How did the bottoms turn out? How many brickkets did you use on the top/bottom?

4. Lookin' pretty "Jerry" there, Ed!
    :thumb:

5. Those look great! Bet they'd be good with a mint julep!

6. Add a few Craisins and they will be perfect!

7. it was only a matter of time......................:rofl::rofl::rofl:

8. Oops, double post...

9. Looks great! Nice browned top. Mmmmmmmm. Make up some eggs and taters or have some sausage gravy and I'd be in heaven.

Which reminds me, just got my pig back from the butcher. Some of the BEST sausage I've had in a long time.

10. Cooked the sausage in the DO, then added the gravy mix. Once it was up to temp, dropped in the biscuits, covered and put too many coals on bottom and top. I know you cast iron scientists know exactly how many briquets to put up and down. I don't. The tops were perfect. Middles perfect, bottoms damn near perfect atop the sausage gravy, but the gravy cooked down a bit too much. I wish I had added another 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water to the mix. It still tasted good. The mix we used was a bit saltier than I like myself, so the next time I'm making it all on my own.

Still a damn good way to start a morning! Thanks to those that have gotten me hooked. Hope to feed you soon.

11. LOOKS wonderful breakfast! Ed,
    I am thinking to buy a cast iron pot too. But more learning toward the enamel type...

12. I was there that weekend too. Missed the Mumbles and would have loved some breakfast :)

13. Jeff, we were in the upper loop. I think I booked the last available site in the park. Breakfast was pretty good. We mostly walked the beach and rode our bikes around the lower loop.

14. I like the upper loop best, no wind!

We were day visitors at Flagler, stay in Hadlock with parents for the 4th. We tok the kids to play on the beach and climb the beach bluff below your upper campground. Lot of fun, then ice cream of course. Great park!

I fished near the bridge to Indian Island Sunday and found a couple serun cutthroat. That was nice too!