Fast sink lines for saltwater

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutski, Mar 12, 2002.

1. troutski New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was checking out an ad for RIO's Deep 7 (7wt)lake fly line with a sink rate of 7-9 ips. I am considering a saltwater set-up that will get down fast yet be okay for casting too. Also thought about using a firm 6 wt. rod, 9ft.(Iron Feather) with this 7 wt. line. Anyone used this Deep 7 line yet? Although it calls itself "lake" fly line is there a problem with saltwater exposure? Does it cast well? I'm thinking this may be good for Silver fishing from our boat this season but wanted to see what others had to say. Thanks!
  2. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Troutski,

I'm not familiar with Rio's Deep 7, so can't offer any help there.
    Following is just my opinion and preference.

I do most of my fly fishing in the Sound from my boat and can tell you I prefer using a shooting head setup as opposed to a full length line. Reason for using this is the ability to throw a fairly long distance with a single back cast and the ability to rapidly switch heads as conditions dictate. Full length lines would require several false casts to get the same distance and spare spools or wasted time switching to other lines - far less versatility. Very often, you'll be able to see the fish working in the shallows around bays, points and eel grass beds and will want to get the fly out to it quickly. Shooting heads enable you to do this.

This system works very well for me; others may differ:
    For those times when I'm in deeper water and the fish are down 20-30 feet, I use an 8-wt with 27-feet of LC-13 and an Rio intermediate sinking running line (learned about this setup from discussions on Dan Blanton's Bulletin Board.) LC-13 sinks at about 10-inches/second. The Rio intermediate running line shoots very well and has little to no memory in our cold waters. For fish in the shallows (down to about 15 feet) I prefer a floating running line with either a floating or an intermediate head, depending upon the wind, chop and whether or not I'm using a popper on the surface. I'll often switch to a 6-wt when fishing the shallower water.

Also, either use a stripping basket or get yourself a plastic trash can (color coordinated to your boat, of course) to strip your line into. Uncontained line will hang up or tangle on anything and everything given the chance when fly fishing from a boat.

Perhaps Capt. Chris Bellows and/or Capt. Tom Wolf will weigh in with better insight and advise :DUNNO - both guide saltwater fly fishers through their respective charter operations in the Straits and Sound and have far more knowledge and experience.

Just my $0.02.

Greg
  3. ray helaers New Member

Fishing out of a boat, my set-up is very similar to Gregs, for most of the same reasons. My own "fast-sinking" line is a 300-grain Rio shooting head looped to a SA intermediate running line, cast on an old Sage RPL 9'6" 8-weight. My other head is an intermediate that I built myself splicing a 15' Rio clear-intermediate sink tip to the back half of a SA 8-weight intermediate shooting head. I have to say I rarely use it from a boat, though it is my standard beach line. I bring along a second reel with an 8-weight floating weight-forward (my steelhead line), but to be honest, I've yet to use it fishing the salt. Also like Greg, I'll switch to a 6-weight in shallow water, or for sea-runs, using a full length, clear-intermediate weight-forward, which I believe is designed for lake fishing. I generally don't use the 6-weight from the beach, because if I want to cast weighted flies like clousers, the smaller rod gives me fits.

I always use a stripping basket from the beach, but rarely from a boat. It's cost me some fish, but doing the high-step over loops of line flying off the deck when a good fish is running can be entertaining for others on board.
  4. Wolf Guest

Hello troutski,

I don't have first hand knowldge of the Deep 7 line to pass along though I don't believe there would be any problem using the line in salt. Something to consider when using a fast sinking line is not only how to get the line and fly down fast...but how to maintain the depth you want while keeping the speed of your strip right. Most lines will have a tendancy to move your fly up out of the strike zone and give you a very limited time at the right depth. One line I enjoyed in Mexico was RIO's DS series which is a fast sink tip with an intermediate running line. They cast well and seem to function for what we were doing.

That said...I use the clear intermediate sink lines and full floating lines most all the time for coho,kings, cutts, pinks, chum, rock fish and whatever....mostly because it is a very fun way to fish. The clear lines are worth thier weight in gold in our clear saltwater specially this time of year. Usually in calm water counting down to 20 or even 50 will put the fly on the bottom of deep areas using the clear lines. Using a lightly weighted clouser gets down when the fish are deeper. I carry 4 - 6 - and 8wt. rods onboard and depending on the ability of the caster will keep to the lighter gear till the wind picks up. The sixes will handle a fish up to 20 lbs with a little chasing to keep the fish healthy for release. Its mostly a matter of preference on how you like to fish.... waiting for a line to sink and maybe picking up a black mouth or two can really try your paitence when you can sight fish shallow water for crusing coho and do quite well. Taking a large king sight fishing in shallow water in august....watching him peel out of a school, follow an 80ft cast to with in 15feet of your boat, watch him charge, flair his red gills, then look him in the eyes waiting to set the hook, can be a real heart stopper..... pant pant.....

T Wolf

5. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Howdy. I've used the rio deep 7 and wouldn't recommend it for salt use. There are better casting lines for what you going to use it for. The deep 7 was designed to be used mostly vertically, not horizontally (deep midge and "plankton" feeders in lakes). Teeny lines, Rio coldwater saltwater sinking lines, Orvis Depth charge all get the job done nicely for all but the silliest deepwater work and I believe all are available in a 200 grain weight which would match your rod nicely (orvis may be 250... can't remember). They cast as well as any shooting head out there, and I personally feel they handle better. That's a personal preference issue. As to lead core (LC-13 or 15) I've found something out about it. Most people who REALLY like it are also good caster whose lines land straight and tight on the cast. People like me who cast horribly have their LC-13 pile up a little when it lands. LC-13 is stiff enough that it tries to hold it's shape as it sinks and that impedes its sinking. If you're fishing a rip, it's even worse. End result: Bad casters, like myself, get a much worse sink rate than good casters. I've watched my 350 grain Depth charge plumet past unstraightened LC-13. Flip side is LC-13 is cheap and durable. Too many choices, and all of them the right choice for somebody! :DUNNO
  6. whosyourdaddy New Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    AirFlow Depth Finder 300 is the way to go for finding Coho in the salt. This is a 30 foot sink tip line that will cause your fly to have more vertical movement then horizontal and the needlefish tend to move vertical when stressed. It has a sink rate of 7ips and is excellent to cast. :HAPPY
  7. topwater Guest

the rio deep 7 is a great line for saltwater fishing. it shoots well and sinks like a rock. the only drawback is it's handling because it's such a thin diameter line (which aids it's sink rate).

the majority of my salmon fishing is offshore in the pacific ocean and i mostly fish 8 wt's with 24-26' heads ranging from 200-400 grains (the rio striper lines are superb for these applications as are most of the "shooting heads" sold by line manufacturers). the lead-core heads already mentioned are also solid lines for the ocean fisheries, and i really like the clear running line made by rio with the lead-core heads.

there are times though, especially early in the season when the majority of the fish are on the small side (4-6 lbs.). in some instances i prefer fishing a 6 wt and that's when the deep 7 shines (the line is rated for line weights 6-7-8).

i wouldn't worry too much about lines not specifically mentioned as saltwater lines. in fact, many of the lines made specifically for saltwater can be poor choices for nw salt because the lines are made for warm water and tropical air temperatures which are unfortunetely not a common occurance in washington state. most river and lake lines have cores made for colder temperatures and will work well in nw saltwater situations.

there are a ton of line choices by a multitude of line companies available. everybody has their favorite line makers (you can tell i'm a rio fan) but a good selection in my mind would include a floater, intermediate, and at a minimum a 300 grain line (the interchangable head lines come with intermediate, 200, 300, &400 grain heads). the deep 7 is definetely more of a specialty line, but it has it's uses for using a lighter rod and getting a simiar sink rate and would be a good line for those not owning heavier rods than a 6 or 7 wt who want to try offshore salmon fishing.

chris