Fat Dolly Varden

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roger Stephens, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    Very nice! a lot more color to your fish than my bull trout last Oct.
    On the Met how (avatar pic).
    Kelly Michelsen
  2. Josh Stroud Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +54 / 0
    Nice fish man, nothing better than catching a fat dolly!
  3. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +356 / 0
    Bull trout, bull trout, bull trout.
    Bob Triggs and Patrick Gould like this.
  4. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +628 / 0
    There should be some sort of permanent post with info on the genetic studies. Smalma?
  5. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +751 / 0
    Geez,Roger, I'm looking at that new Aleka 6-wt of mine, thinking "I'm gonna need a bigger rod"!! Well done!
  6. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +526 / 0
    Back when the National Park bios ( Dr Sam Brinkman etc.) were doing research on these fish using surgically implanted transmitters, they told me that sometimes they could go downriver to the netting operations and get samples of genetic material from the Bull Trout that were caught in the gill nets. It seems we would see many more of these endangered fish if it were not for the fact that they gets sifted out of the runs by the nets at a certain size. This link provides a basic life history overview and includes further links to the most recent studies on these fish. They truly are remarkable in so many ways. http://www.nps.gov/olym/naturescience/bull-trout.htm
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  7. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +356 / 0
    I think that part of the problem of their nomenclature is that, in the regulation pamphlet, WDFW continues to refer to "Dolly Varden/bulltrout" as if their populations were indiscriminately mixed. Studies have shown that, while the range of the Dolly Varden (Salvelinus malma) does extend into Washington, they are restricted to small, high-elevation tributaries in the Cascade and Olympic mountains, usually above obstacles to anadromous fish, where they do not achieve any significant size. The large, anadromous (or semi-anadromous) char of Puget Sound and the coastal rivers are bull trout (S. confluentus).
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,396 / 0
    Everybody keeps saying this but it seems that nobody believes it. I was told this many ions ago and I don't question it anymore. I just shake my head when somebody miss calls them.

Before I left for greener fishing to a state that actually has trout in it. I was fishing in the Upper N/F Sky. Just about at the end of the road. I was fishing one of the small creeks that empty into the N/F. I caught a small dolly up in there. It came out of a hole about the size of a dinner plate. And after I looked at it, it went back into the same hole. I believe it was Quartz creek under the bridge.