FatCat LCS or Creek ODC420 (or.... )

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by kurtataltos, Nov 30, 2013.

1. kurtataltos Active Member

Los Altos, CA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    I am looking for a new float tube. My current Bucks has one Boston valve and I use an electric pump with a long, standard car rim valve (shaped down at the rubber rim seal) for an easy fill. The LCS has, apparently, Summit valves and I have never used them. My assumption... is that I could still use my rim valve to fill via a Summit valve. The ODC420 comes with Summit and Bostons... Are Summit valves a pain, great, or ???

190 pounds, fishing 35-40 days a year, no back packing (although I might do it if the darn tubes didn't weigh 15 pounds), don't mind sitting with thighs in the water as I do with my Bucks but more up/out of the water is ok too. I like easy to use valves as I typically drive nearly to where I fish but the altitude shifts (up to 7500', down to 2500) require planning ahead, refilling, deflating on a constant basis and you only need a filled tube to explode inside your car once to figure out that is a "bad thing". Looking for quality, not necessary expensive but not a cheapie.

Insights and suggestions greatly appreciated. Enjoy in good health!
  2. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    I have both a SFC (foam seat) and SFC LCS (inflatable seat).
    I've never have had any issues with the values. I inflate them with a small electric Coleman pump I plug into the lighter. I top it off with a foot pump.
    Takes about three to five minutes max to completely inflate and be ready to fish.
    Outcast has great customer service if you ever need it. I've abused the SFC for close to ten years and the thing keeps on going strong.
    I'd recommend the Fishcat 4 over the ODC 420.
    Good luck,
    SF
  3. kurtataltos Active Member

Los Altos, CA
    Thanks Stonefish !!!
  4. kurtataltos Active Member

Los Altos, CA
    Should have added one item (my mistake): I don't need a stripping basket or apron or... anything above my legs. I have been doing it that way for 20 years and am probably not retrainable. For me, do-dads and "features" just get in the way. In a perfect world my float tube would have no "gee-gaws", cute hanging appendages, hardware and accessories that simply catch line and get in the way. I don't need a 12-pack of Bud, a rod holder or 3 sandwiches and a fish finder. Does the Fish Cat rely on the apron for any structural integrity or is it just an added "gee-gaw" that can be left in the car.
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
  6. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,035 / 0
    I have over 10 years on a SFC with the inflatable seat. Someone gave me a foam seat for it at one point but after trying it I threw it away. It also has the old style stripping apron that I like much better than the new ones. I modified it so it goes in place with plastic hooks on bungee stock rather than the more laborious Velcro straps. That's an old guy thing for those that have to pee often.

I never go out without a Fishin'Buddy strapped on but that too has been modified for tube use only with almost a foot removed from the shaft so it doesn't drag in shallow water. It is much easier to pack and never gets in the way. A rod holder has never been necessary as an extra rod fits neatly in the mesh pocket on the side of the main pocket. The rod sticks out the back and up out of the water. Two Velcro straps hold it in place and have always been secure.

An SFC will keep your thighs well out of the water and give you a little better casting angle than a lower boat. I fish in waist high waders all year and have never had water come over the top.

For a pump I use one of those Italian made hand pumps-the original that all the Taiwanese knock offs are based on. It pumps on both strokes and comes with fittings that attach to the SFC. For inflating the seat I use clear plastic flex tubing that you can buy at most hardware stores. It only takes a couple of inches of this stuff to do the job, it fits directly on the pump's hose and perfectly over the valve stem.

I don't know of a more comfortable boat on the market, it is easy to fish out of, easy to get in and out of and is hell for stout. The 5 year warranty is evidence of it's quality. Once you amortize the cost of the boat over the number of years of service you will receive from it, it is really quite inexpensive.

One other thing-buy the straps. At 75 I am still doing some walk-ins with my boat and straps make it easy. My one concession to old age has been to add a waist strap in addition to the shoulder straps. That stabilizes the boat while you are walking and eliminates that constant adjusting that takes place as the boat swings back and forth.

Ive
    PT likes this.
  7. kurtataltos Active Member

Los Altos, CA
    Ok... next nuance... Fish Cat Deluxe or Super Fat Cat ? Both have inflatable seats. The Fish Cat is smaller but weighs more (??), the Super Fat Cat is has a urethane bladder vs vinyl, both have identical outer material. Is it worth an incremental $190 to get the, in theory, "more reliable" urethane bladder? Commentary and perspectives sincerely appreciated.
  8. SHigSpeed Active Member

Rocklin, CA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    I think the main advantage of the SFC is the pocket size. If you really need to take the kitchen sink, then the SFC wins. Plus, it has a bigger 'trunk' if you want to pack an ice chest or a big dry bag full of stuff.

The downside is that it's a bigger sail so you'll fight the wind a little more than the Fish Cat.

I don't think the cost difference is worth it though. I use a Fish Cat (or my 1.5 lb tube if I'm backpacking!!).

_SHig