Father's Day Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Mike Etgen, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    New River Mike

Nick and I headed out to the salt today and sure enough found a few willing SRC's. We also were paid a call by a strapping young native steelhead who is by now back on his journey to his native waters.

I've been hoping for some time to add a steelhead to my catch list, but didn't figure to start with a sea-run and briefly thought I had a VERY nice cutt - but our close examination and his faintly blushing cheekplate gave him away.

All in all, a great day out - a great setting, a cooling breeze, and the first fly-caught SRC's for Nick and my first steelhead.

Finished with phone calls from the son in Georgia and the step-daughter in Anacortes. A great Father's Day all around - and thanks to Nick for the company.

Yep, have to brag a little once in a while...:7

2. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Very cool.

Matt Burke

3. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
  4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Congrats on the first steelhead. Sounds like you had a great day.

5. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nice going man, getting ur first steelie is somthing to remeber.

6. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Hey mike congrats! you don't hear too much about steelhead caught in the salt. You said 'young' so I'm guessing it wasn't fully mature? This could be a jack (early returning male), or a fish that has residualized in the Puget Sound saltwater instead of heading to Alaska?? Or perhaps a sea run cutt-bow hybrid, very interesting!
    You don't hear much about this, so keep your spot secret (After you PM me so I can personally verify of course :))

Happy Fathers Day

bh:beer2

7. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

Media:
    I would like to thank everyone who has given me such great advice over the past couple of months. It all came together this weekend as I was able to catch my first SRC on a fly. I must have had 10 strikes before I had one hooked and man do those fish go nuts.

I would also like to thank Mike, for personally showing me the ropes on Sunday. It must be karma, because the steelhead he landed was beautiful. Good things come to good people. I have never heard of anyone catching a steelhead in the salt before at least anyone on this site. Maybe someone can tell me how common it is or is not.

This was probably of my last fishing trips for a while, because I am getting married on July 16th and my fiancé is going to have me on a short leash for the next couple weeks. Rightfully so! I might try and slip away one morning if possible. But again thank you and sorry no pictures I forgot my camera.

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Yeah Right On! You guys earned your bragging rights. First SRCs AND a first steelie in the salt...doesn't get much better than scoring a double! So, you gonna change your name to "Good Karma Mike?"
    By the way, the shore pines I potted up for you survived the transplant shock and are sittin tight in my back yard.
    Seeing how Andrew sounds like he's gonna be shackled to the bedposts for awhile, I'll have to bring them up to you sometime and we'll go hit the spit or wet a line somewhere. I have to be here for the next two weekends (feeding neighbors' animals, scheduled work on 7/3), but after the 4th I can keep my weekends open.
    Headed up the O.P. tomorrow for 3+ days...plan to hit the Sol Duc, maybe the Dickey and Wentworth Lake....may even try to hit a creek mouth in Lake Crescent if we get going early enough to dawn patrol it. Lots of options up there...may have to hang a map on the wall and throw darts at it to figure out where to go. The Hoh and possibly other glacial fed rivers are out of shape after the hot weather, so that helps narrow it down, although cooler weather could change that.
    Again, congrats on your success!:thumb

Jimbo