NFR Favorite Angler's Roast

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Mar 13, 2012.

1. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +721 / 1
    What is your favorite coffee? Do you buy whole bean or pre-grind? My wife and I have taking a liking to Peet's House Blend after we ran out of the Holiday Blend my brother sent this past season. It was whole beans so we've been grinding as we go -- suspect that's the better way to have fresh stuff, but is a little noisy and messy. We find Starbucks a bit to acidic and SBC just OK.

Curious to hear what the forum likes.
    dryflylarry likes this.
  2. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    I am a caffeine junkie. I drink just about anything that says coffee on the box.
    Yuban mostly.
  3. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,126 / 4
    So long as I can just about chew on it I don't care. Not picky about brand just as long as its super super strong. I love my fiance to death but she makes the weakest coffee
  4. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +182 / 0
    I drink my coffee black. No sugar, no cream. I like it strong. I also find Starbuck too bitter. I use a Melita paper filter and grind my coffee as fine as possible - turkish grind (almost like powder) on most machines. Usually prefer an espresso roast.

But if I need coffee just about anything will do - Starbucks, Tullys, Mickey D's, 7-11, AM/PM mini-mart.
  5. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    I prefer the darkest roast I can find, but I'll drink just about anything as long as it's very strong and hot. Weak coffee is a waste of time.
  6. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,622 / 2
    Most any of the medium roasts from trader joes are quite good. If I can't drink it without sugar and cream, then it's not good coffee.

For espresso, vivace roasteria in Seattle roasts the absolute best bean I've ever had.

Starbucks all around makes some seriously bad blends.
  7. Danny H Member

The Bench
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I like my coffee strong and black, I've been using a french press for a while and I like it.

I have been diggin the sumatra blend lately, any brand.
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,622 / 2
    Little known coffee fact: the lighter the roast, the more caffeine it has.
  9. Milt Roe Member

Taco Ma
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Folgers is like good sex, both are mount and groan.
  10. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +542 / 0
    The Costco organic SF coffee isn't bad.

The best coffee is Dunkin' Donuts. Anyone who says differently has brain damage.

Go Red Sox,
    cds
    WA-Fly likes this.
  11. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    I also like my coffee black and strong. I prefer a french roast most of the time. Lately I've been buying Craven beans from Yoke's and I'm happy.

Grinding the beans just prior to brewing is the best. There are several ways to get the most out of your cup o' joe. Here's a link to a decent article, although it doesn't mention that good water is also very important....

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/08/03/brewing-the-perfect-cup-of-coffee/
  12. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,559 / 0
    Nescafe Taster's Choice French Roast Instant with a couple of teaspoons of World Market Dark Chocolate mix and skim milk microwaved on "Beverage"setting. If you pour the milk first and leave the powders on top too long something fucked up happens with the taste, gets a chemical overtone I don't care for. Do it the other way around it is 90 seconds till delicious.
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,656 / 0
    I used to drink coffee, but it bothered my stomach. So I switched to coffee with out the caffeine. It still tore me up. So I quit. I also quit drinking Diet Coke. I guess you could say I swore off all caffeine. If I want to stay alert I just get more sleep.
  14. fixj Member

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Caffe D'arte roasted here in Seattle. Get it at St. James Espresso in Kirkland. Ask for Firenze Northern Italian Blend Espresso.
  15. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +214 / 1
  16. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    I like my coffee with creamer and sweetener, so keep that in mind.
    I like a strong brew that still tastes like coffee even after I doctor it. For that reason I like Starbucks drip in the store. For home use I've been very pleased with Kirkland House Blend from Costco (roasted by Starbucks). It's a medium roast in a 2# bag(whole bean) at about $5 a pound if memory serves. They also have a French Roast and an Espresso.
    One thing I REALLY hate is being on a road trip, stopping for coffee and finding nothing but "farmer coffee" (my term). Looks about like a medium tea. I think they brew it like that so the farmers can drink coffee constantly all day long and not get over-caffeinated! Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
  17. Codioos Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Strong french roast is my favorite right now. It has to slap me awake! then kick me in the ass!
  18. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    Olympic Roasters in Lacey/Oly. House blend. Drip thru a cone filter. Not exclusive; other coffee is good too. But like micro brew, small craft coffee roasters make a better product, and I like many that I've tried.
  19. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +721 / 1
    Did not know that...certainly would have thought the opposite.
  20. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Forza's Italian Roast,whole bean.......dark and strong. Drinking a cup as I type this;)
    Not a fan of Starbucks at all but like Steve if I need coffee I will drink just about anything.....I thank the Army for that.