NFR Favorite Angler's Roast

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    The raw bean is the most caffeine you will get. The more you roast it, the more things break down, and the more caffeine you lose.

2. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    During my military years of working swings and graves on the flightline I drank black coffee. When I was a kid I read a book that I think was titled The Crucible that was the story of Johnny Tremain. In the book he was in Boston and after smelling the aroma of coffee coming from a shop he just had to buy a cup. His reaction was "How can anything that smells so good taste so bad?" When I finally separated form the military, I came to the conclusion that I really didn't like the taste of coffee so i stopped drinking it. I drink tea now but most teas have as little as 1/3 the caffeine as coffee. Now if I drink a cup of coffee or have more than a 12 oz can of soda I get the shakes and feel like I'm going to puke, so I "just say No". However everyone I know drinks coffee so I keep some on hand in the freezer to offer house guests. What I insist on and buy for them is a roast that when served black has a full robust flavor, but no (zero) acetic after taste.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Love the smell, never acquired the taste. Dropped soda from my intake list a few years ago. I do drink tea from time to time. Great reading about your favorites though. Funniest part of me not liking coffee, my wife owns a coffe shack.

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Two brands for me; Gevalia Swedish coffee's traditional roast, and on those days when I really need to get going, Deadman's Reach from Raven's Blend. I grind my own beans. On occasion, I've been known to put a snort of good Irish whiskey into the brew, and top it off with a squirt of whipped cream...La vie, c'est dur!

5. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Strong French Roast for me. I buy the bulk bag of Starbucks at costco and run it through the burr grinder right before I brew it. Variegated espresso or through a Malitta filter. I also push the grind to the fine side, but in the paper filter i've gotten it so fine that it overflows argh

6. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Methow Valley Coffee Roasters Cowbow Mud is a nice one that we always drink while in Winthrop. At home we mix Gold Coast Blend and Espresso Decaf in equal parts. A nice blend with fewer shakes (if I'm tying flies that day!) As a dentist, I need steady hands so no caffeine during the work week for me. On the weekends I go a little crazy however! Rick

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've had their stuff, and was really quite impressed. Love my micro roasters like I like my craft beers!

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

A client gave us a box of coffee at Christmas (don't recall the brand) that had a slogan "At last, a coffee you can sleep with". WTF izzat?
    I like good coffee, mostly strong, but can live without it just fine too. My wife however is a latte-holic. She games that espresso machine like a pinball junkie.
    Tea is for pussies.

9. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

For years I drank 10 to 12 cups a day. Some folks said I was jittery, but I used to refer to it as caffeine aerobics.

But for the last decade I've cut way back - two cups in the morning and sometimes one after lunch. A doctor made me quit once - it was three months of hell!

What would life be like without coffee and alcohol...........and fishing?

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have been drinking Millstone Italian Roast for years. I try others but always come back to Millstone. I used to live on the stuff but now only have a cup or two in the morning. The best tasting coffee is on the river. I cannot think of anything that tastes better than a steaming hot cup of coffee from the thermos after finishing the 1st steelhead run of the morning.

11. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Caffe' Umbria's Arco Etrusco is my favorite lately, ground a little finer for more extraction...I get it at Met Market, but you can order it on-line, too. Their Mezzanote Decaf is very good, too, if you don't want/need the buzz. Also worthy are any of Valhalla Coffee beans from Tacoma. But, hey, any dark, full-bodied java will do!

12. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I have to agree about coffee tasting the best on the river or at river camp. We use one of those cheap10 cup percolator pots in the camper. Make up a pot before bed, then flip or RPS to see who has to be the one to crawl out of the sleeping bag at first light to fire it off and then turn it down to get that perfect "ploop, ploop, ploop" sound going and aroma wafting through the air.

We typically use Folgers Dark Roast for the camper and it tastes much better using that old percolator.

13. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Millstone is my back up brand and I agree there is no better coffee then that first cup on the water.

14. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

Sumatra & Cafe Verona from Starbucks. Don't diss Starbucks please, my daughter works there and they have been good to her.

15. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    I used to put away a ton of coffee, a habit I picked up while in the Navy, but notice that I feel better if I don't drink as much, WITH the exception of five or six Irish coffees in the morning, of course:confused:

16. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

Starbucks Verona blend, steeped 5 minutes in a french press.

17. Joe Mateas

Joe Mateas Member

Media:
    Don't drink cofee every day...... But when I do I have a bag San Francisco Bay Cofee Co. Fogchaser beans ready to grind up in the freezer and a bottle of Baileys to top it off.

18. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I haven't been too successful in my search for the great cup of coffee, but thanks for this thread! I will give some of these a try. I so far lately been drinking Starbucks Pike Place Roast. I think that may be their historical blend. The search goes on...