Favorite Beach cannon

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jacob Peterson, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    I am kinda suprized that no one has said Axiom yet! I kinda like my new Echo 2 10' 5 weight with a 6 weight outbound!

2. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    TFO TiCr 9ft. 6wt. w/rio outbound. With a good double haul this rod and line combo will sing.

3. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    My 6wt Rainshadow RX-8+ and TFO 5wt Switch rod... got an Airflo 40+ Intermdiate for the switch rod that I need to get out and play with! :thumb:

4. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Meiser 11' 4/5 Highlander switch for the searuns/rezzies on calm days
    Meiser 11' 6/7 Highlander switch, twin of the above for windy days and/or mature salmon
    Meiser 13' 7/8 MKS, really for steelhead but good for throwing bombs to salmon when it's really windy

Previously used a TCR 697 which was a great one-hander with a shooting head and a Z-axis 5110, 11' switch which was a great rod in general.

T.

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Haven't fished this yet, but it had better become my favorite beach rod because that was what i was thimkin' when I got it: Fenwick "Iron Feather" 9'9" 6wt 2-pc. I need to try out a few different lines on this before I know what works best. Came with a good reel and a decent floater and a Cortland 444 Clear Camo Intermediate on the spare spool. Managed some fairly long casts on the lawn trying it out with the Clear Camo before I bought it. No time now, though, as I'm locked into "busy" mode at work and just finished spending some time researching and shopping for a newer rig.

6. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

Is there a seven weight axiom, I love casting those and a 10 ft. switch would be awesome for me and my bike explorations around the sound

7. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    just picked up a 796-4 Sage RPL from a board member. I'm gonna play around with lines a bit tomorrow and get that things bombin line. Its a sweeeeet stick.

Also got a custom piece tyler speir made up for me. rainshadow RX-8XF blank in a 9' 6wt. Its a cannon for sure and sends my outbound a long ways.

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Sean,
    That 796-4 RPL is a sweet rod. Nice pick-up!

9. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    A Scott S4 9'6" 6 wt with an Airflo 40+ absolutely blasts line out there. I have an Echo 10'10" switch which can throw one mean double haul or double hand cast...

10. 10' 6 wt. GLX Classic with Outbound. Shoot likes a rocket and the extra length is ideal. Still very light and easy on your cast arm/shoulder.

11. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    9' 6wt. TFO TiCr-X with an Airflo 40+. That setup is pretty amazing for the beach. I wish it was slightly longer, though.
    -Ethan

12. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

697xp w/3300D w/SA-ST & Outbound int.

13. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Thomas, nice to see you got your Meisers! I hope they are treating you well!!! I've been lovin' me some ZA :) Thanks!

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Ibn speaks big medicine; a fast action rod that casts easily and not broomstick stiff. My GLX will be 12 years old this year, bent snake guies and all it will still toss a line like a frozen rope. Heck, a 9' 6 wt that weighs 2.9 ounces? Way ahead of its time, and still leading edge in many ways. I have a GLX in an 8 weight, 9', 4 piece configuration, which model many experienced fly fishers consider the quintessential bonefish stick.

15. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

TFO 12'6" 6wt with airflo 450 grn skagit head, overhead casts 130+ everytime. Too much for cutties, great for silvers/chumlies + I'll find out with pinks this yr...

Dave

PS thanks to Matt Burke (formerly Mattzoid?) and Leland M for getting me thinking about this style of beach fishing

16. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Robert August 10-foot "Predator" with a step deck and single fin. Whoops! We're talking about fly rods here. But that surfboard booms right along....

9-foot, 6-weight Sage VPS with a sinking shooting head. I know this isn't the heavy guns that some others throw, but it casts far enough for me.

17. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yes, they are very nice. Great casting and amazing cosmetics. Almost got my first summer run on the 6/7 last weekend but he came unpinned on the first run.

T.

18. Bob Balder

Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

Sage 696 RPL, overlined with a 7 wt, weight forward and a 10' hand tied leader wil put a popper out there pretty well, at least it does for me and I am no great shakes on the long distance cast. This set-up is verstile enough to fish the surface with leland's popper or fish clousers and such sub-surface. I don't like dragging extra spools and crap around the beach all morning and this rig works for me.
    A rezzi on a 6 wt. with back bone is a serious hoot.
    I like it! :beer2:

19. Rialto

Rialto Member

Media:
    IBN,

What weight Outbound Short are you using on the 6wt?

Thanks

20. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

Since they came out: 796 XP and 896 SP. Currently farting around with Amundson 5100 and 7100. The 5100 is really a 7 weight though as it handles a 275 grain Outbound real nice. As in the whole line to the backing knot.