Favorite chironomid patterns?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Oct 27, 2002.

1. IveofIone Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Snow is falling outside, the woodstove is cranked up and it's dark before 5:00PM.It looks like this season is pretty much over. I have started tying for '03 and have many of my buggers done already. I am wondering what chironomid patterns you guys have sucess with on Eastern Washington lakes. What color and what size seem to be the most dependable choice. If you could go out with just one chronie pattern what would it be? Any suggestions?

IveofIone

Ivebrakesforlakes
  2. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    For me, its Ice Cream Cone in red or black. It works so well, that I hardly use another more complex pattern.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!
  3. jbrodie New Member

Marysville, WA.
    Would this be the same as a snowcone? White glass bead head? These beads are very cheap at craft stores.
  4. IveofIone Guest

IveofIone
    Rob, I'm not familier with that pattern, do you have a picture? And what size? Some guys fish real tiny stuff while others ignore the size of the actual insect and just fish something simalar but larger. Ive
  5. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Ice Cream Cone

Hook: Standard Wet Fly
    Head: White Metal Bead
    Thread: to match body
    Body: Floss with fine gold wire wrapped spirally.

The floss and thread should be built up making a smooth progression from the hook to the sides of the bead. I guess glass beads will do, but the metal beads help the sinking of the fly, which given the depths that I fish them (up to 20') is very helpful.

I believe that this is from Phil Rowley's book of fly patterns for lakes, which has a ton of patterns of chironomids.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!
  6. callibaetis Guest

I use a black or red pattern with silver rib. Superfloss or v-rib works well for the body. For a thorax I use peacock hearl or a beadhead. Don't forget to imitate the white gills, I use white antron or polypro yarn. If they don't take black or red thats it for me, I don't waste time expirimenting with other colors.
    Don't forget to tie adult and emerger patterns. I prefer the Griffiths Gnat and raccoon emerger.
    Good Luck!
  7. Brian New Member

Iveoflone
    Phil Rowley's Chromie is my favorate.
    Brian
  8. gotchasr Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    I second the snowcone. Olive also seems to work well. You could tie them with the white glass beads, but I like to use the white metal beads. It helps get the fly down.