Favorite Coho Fly?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by pbunbury, Oct 28, 2013.

1. pbunbury Tights Lines

Ratings: +35 / 0
    What is your favorite Coho fly to fish in rivers? While frustrating at times fishing for a fish that isn't actively feeding once it's in the river system, it's obviously all worth it once you hook into one. I wanted to see what some of your favorite patterns are, and what flies you've had success with when swinging or casting for coho once in the river.

Tight lines!
  2. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +337 / 0
    here's a few

Attached Files:

pbunbury likes this.
  3. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +122 / 0
    Rolled muddlers (with , or without a bead head) , and the California Neil
    pbunbury likes this.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,701 / 2
    One that doesn't make coho fishing an act in futility
    [IMG]
  5. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,704 / 0
    This guy tied in purple, red , light blue, and white colors... white normally works best. Most likely because it is bright and shiny like the pattern shown above this post.

[IMG]
    Jamie Wilson, jjaims and pbunbury like this.
  6. pbunbury Tights Lines

Ratings: +35 / 0
    I agree completely, but unfortunately for me, apparently I prefer futility. For some reason it's hard to give up the challenge of the fly rod, so for better or worse I'll just be dreaming of dick nites.
  7. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0

For shame! …….
  8. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +377 / 0
    Fixed it for ya!

Otherwise some rude-minded folks might think you're dreaming of "dick" nights!!! ;):D;)
    KevinLS likes this.
  9. slippery_whippet Member

Sedro Woolley, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Anyone have a recipe for the Coho Christmas tree fly, it is a flash pattern but I am not sure how it goes together. Thx

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4
  10. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I like challenges as well. But to me, there is a point where "challenge" becomes "not even worth the effort." North Puget Sound river coho on the fly rod is the latter. It's not impossible, I've done it, but the conditions have to be 100% perfect with a bit of luck thrown in.
  11. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    "but the conditions have to be 100% perfect with a bit of luck thrown in".
    aint it the truth. even with that little shiny spoon it can be tough. most consistent thing for coho up north here that i have seen is a gob of eggs. and many of us will say that skagit coho are better biters than those dam snohomish fish.
  12. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    The Skagit fish are substantially better biters. The Snohomish fish are at least twice as hard to catch as the other rivers... Sometimes infinitely harder.

That said, I'm going after some tomorrow.
  13. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,704 / 0
    When a fish farm was located in Newport bay, catching silvers with flies was easy.

The facility was located on a public beach and that's where the coho would climb up a ladder to reach the private hatchery. This meant they were fair game to anyone fishing the bay.

We'd wade out into the bay and cast chartreuse colored patterns with nothing more than sink-tips. It was a blast! Of course I doubt if the private hatchery that it was so entertaining but they were dumb enough to build the hatchery where they did so "their salmon" were up for grabs. Unfortunately, the private hatchery went belly up... guess they didn't plan on anglers and sea lions grabbing their product before they had a chance to process the fish.

[IMG]

It was fun while it lasted and the bright silvers were more than willing to take flies. Good times. Good times.

As a side note, it's just as well the private hatchery failed. Many of the clones pasted the hatchery and swam upstream with the native salmon... that wasn't good for the native fish.
  14. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +1,003 / 1
    Flyanglers Online - Fly Of The Week
    Jeff Dodd likes this.