favorite dragonfly nymph pattern

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Feb 10, 2012.

  1. Armando, you threw me a curve ball. I looked at the first picture and thought that fly looks like the real thing. Then it dawned on me, IT IS THE REAL THING. But I like your pattern I have been searching for a good dragon fly pattern and also for a good damsel nymph pattern. I think I have found one and now for the damsel.

    Thank you for your post.
     
  2. The Olive Willy looks like a simple suggestive pattern.

    How about changing to a 3mm ruby red plastic bead, adding a Rainy's small round foam under body, UV Ice dub spun with New Age #2 chenille and a dub collar. For a buoyant slow dredging bottom pattern off a full fast sink line.

    http://www.flyfishingentomology.com/Olive Willy.htm

    GG
     
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  3. Thanks ghost!
     

  4. That is one of the hot flies at Olalla Lake in Oregon on Saturday. I doubt if the planters thought it was a dragonfly nymph.

    However, one of the first first lakes we tried the pattern had a huge population of dragonfly nymphs and adults. We fished the WB next to the vegetation and caught a ton-o-trout. In that case, I believe the fish did see the pattern as a dragonfly nymph.

    Considering it works for Jay, the theory is good enough for me.
     
  5. Ron McNeal likes this.
  6. Correct...except the body is olive chenille..usually....sometimes a splash of red fur wing works well too.
     
  7. I've had good luck with this pattern fished on a full sinking line, the fly floats just over the weeds, takes are solid. In the spring I'll put a patch of chartruse hair in the middle as some dragon flies have a green glow when they first hatch.


    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/021201fotw.php
     
  8. Chris, I'd like that one if you didn't need to clip deer hair to tie it :)
     
  9. Yes, it is a bit messy, but if you use different colors of deer hair you get a good mottled look and it's simple.
     
  10. William's (William Survey that is) OLIVE WILLY is a very good, effective, and rather simple to tie fly. It went through several mutations from William before he settled on using the silver-lined red glass bead at the head. The bodies are always olive chenile, the tail and hackle are always lemon-yellow dyed Chinese Pheasant Rump feathers (they become an olive with nice highlights after being dyed lemon-yellow), and the hackle is always tied in and wrapped about 2/3rds of the way up the body, which is where the front body segment is started. William never ribbed the bodies.

    The permutations on the way to using the silver-lined glass bead head were: 1) short clump of red calftail for the stub wing (which is actually the wing case); 2) short clump of red marabou for the stub wing (it provides more movement and illusion of life than the calftail, which is why William changed to it); 3) short clump of red rabbit fur for the stub wing (far more durable than marabou, provides a bit more color because it doesn't slim down very much, and still provides a good amount of movement for the illusion of life); and finally, 4) the silver-lined red bead head.

    William named this fly in honor of his son "Willy" who was killed in an accident.

    The DRUNKEN DRAGON came years after the OLIVE WILLY and before the red bead head version of the OLIVE WILLY. It was inspired by those of us who knew William telling him he ought to tie a dragon fly nymph imitation with red eyes since it was obvious to us that the OLIVE WILLY was taken as a dragon fly nymph. His first ones used red plastic bead chain (he used red dye to dye white plastic bead chain scarlet). But when he first saw the silver-lined red beads in a craft store, he bought a rather large amount of them and mounted them on yellow RIO Slickshooter running line (an oval mono) by melting the ends after he put the bead on the Slickshooter. He sometimes mounted the beads with super glue, but you have to be careful not to glue your fingers.

    One last thing. William came up with the name DRUNKEN DRAGON because he said the red eyes reminded him of someone with a pretty bad hangover's blood-shot eyes.
     
  11. Here is mine I stole from phil rowley IMG-20130406-00040.jpg IMG-20130406-00041.jpg
     
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  12. Filoplume dragon in brown or olive
     
  13. They also work using a dubbed body instead of chenille if you dont want it so bulky. I tie them in 3 colors olive, white, and chartreuse. Some days one color works when others dont. I have also tried tying them with different color beads but red seems to work best.
     
  14. Oh hahaha I wish I could tie such realistic flies!
    Glad you like my dragón pattern
     
  15. I tied up a few of these , and other than haveing to substitute the pseudo marabou with craft fur , and the antron with poly yarn , they look pretty good (to me) .
    The fish will be the better judges , and I`ll find out what they think tomorrow .
     
  16. I also think that video and nymph is great looking, what I have been doing is incorporating that kind of tail to my nymphallyble pattern, it´s always about movement so anything pulsating whenever it stops or is stripped is a winner.
     

Share This Page