Favorite easy dry fly patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by troutaholic, Feb 3, 2004.

1. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    Hi everyone, I usually like to fish nymphs but I'm preparing my flybox for the upcoming season and I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about effective searching, matching, or attractor dry flies for primarily westside rivers and streams. My question is: What are your favorite effective, simple to tie, dry fly patterns for Northwest local waters? Also If anyone has any good chironomid and/or emerger patterns, I would really appreciate it. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input! :thumb

2. hutch

hutch solomon

Media:
    "simple to tie" is a relative term. That being said...

I have had great success in local Western Slope rivers with a couple of flies that are pretty easy to tie: Parachute Adams, Renegade and Elk Hair Caddis.

Great blind fishing patterns for searching rivers when you are not matching a specific hatch.

I wouldn't leave home w/o them...

-hutch

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    My favorite dry fly and a great producer is the CDC and Elk. Tied in several colors it will fit most hatches.

4. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Ron, which CDC pattern you like most though, there's about a ton of em!:beer1

5. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Hutch, The renegeade? thats the one with hackles at both ends innit?:dunno

6. gotchasr

gotchasr Member

Media:
    A tan EHC is my fly of choice, although I tied some CDC and Elk that I can't wait to try this year.

7. FISHFACE

FISHFACE New Member

EHC and stimulator:thumb

8. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    New River Mike

I agree with votes for the Elkhair Caddis and the Stimulator. For versatility, it's hard to beat the Stimulator. I've drowned them to catch smallmouth bass and caught silvers when I fished a size 8 like a popper. I'm sure SRC's would hit it too, and of course it's a good searching pattern for trout.
    I'm just learning the Royal Wulff and hope I can add that to the list of versatile dries.

Easy? Not so the Stimulator! ;)

Practice, practice, practice.

:thumb

9. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

for something easy to tie, try a brown hackle peacock and a grey hackle peacock. get good material and work on the proportions. these are old patterns like the renegade but they still work.

10. Phillip Muwayderz

Phillip Muwayderz New Member

If you fish anywhere with mayfly hatches then a PMD or sparkle dun are pretty simple.
    Also an X-Caddis is not that difficult.

11. hutch

hutch solomon

Media:
    That's right. Very simple to tie w/ Peacock herl and light hackle (i use ginger/grizzly colored) and dark hackle on the other end (i use copper)...

12. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    Trude Caddis (See Chuck's Caddis Variant)

13. DLoop

DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

Media:
    I'll throw another vote in for X-Caddis. Simpler to tie than EHC, and for me at least, more effective.

14. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    Thakns for the input everyone! I found a great video on how to do the x-caddis on the WSU tv website.Here's the link:

http://kwsu.publictelevision.org/videos/outdoors/flytying/x-caddis.ram

I also found a terrific article on the CDC and elk that so many of you recommended. Here's the link for that one:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/010702fotw.html

It was very interesting to me that the vast majority of recommended flies were variations of the elk hair caddis! Gee I thought all dry flies were suposed to be mayflies (just kidding!)

15. DEREK

DEREK New Member

Media:
    A comparadun is very simple and deadly effective as a mayfly imitation. Doesn't use any hackle either, so its cheep.

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I like the simple flies so I can tie them up myself. EHC,Stimulator,Comparadune(sp), I also like the Adams family of flies but can't tie them so I buy them,along with Royal Wulff and humpies. I have found by changing colors on the EHC as to what rivers they work best in.

Jim

17. dmoocher

dmoocher Member

Learn to tie a parachute hackle and you're on your way. Stimulators are a bear to learn...the proportions are critical...an easier way to match stoneflies is to do deer hair "Bullet head" madame-X patterns...pretty easy and will always ride upright (unlike EHC's or stimmies). I don't like the long palmered hackle 'cuz they sit so far off the water and they roll. I've got 'em and tie 'em but I always clip the bottom hackle flat first.

18. Wakemaster

Wakemaster New Member

If the emphasis is on simplicity and ease of tying I would start with black/white or brown/white bi-visibles in sizes 12 to 16 or 18. Once comfortable with dry fly hackling I would move to either a goofus bug (easier) or humpy (harder) to get used to incorporating deer hair. Note that all three of these are older generic patterns that are uniformly high floating--and very good for rough streams where imitators are not as necessary as on flatter water. My final candidate would be a dark foam beetle of any one of a number of patterns with a bright indicator on top. Once that one is comfortable with tying these one is ready to move on to the more complex flies such as the stimulator and the parachute patterns. The elk hair caddis is an excellent pattern that could be inserted in with or just ahead of the goofus bug.

I was reminded of the versatility of the bi-visibles this past season when I was tying #22 and #24 Griffith's gnats and I tied a few straight grizzly hackled bi-visibles just for fun. Both worked equally well on large resident cutts in flatter water of Rocky Mountain streams.

19. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    You want en effective, easy to tie dry pattern? Two posts already named it: Hans Weinmann's CDC & Elk. Same great profile as an EHC and floats like a cork, but takes just two ingredients. Go here for step by step instructions: http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweilenmann/cdcelk.htm It's a kick-ass pattern for trout streams everywhere. Just remember not to put floatant directly on the CDC.

20. Curtis King

Curtis King Fish Magnet

Media:
    Since you asked for an effective chironomid pattern, I have a brief description of one that, at least for me, works exceptionally well. You will need the following:
    a) Size 16 or 18 straight eye nymph hook (don't use cheap hooks)
    b) Tiny brass bead (3/32), nickel finish preferred
    c) Brown or black flexifloss
    d) Fine silver wire
    e) White ostrich herl
    f) Black 8/0 thread

1) Slip on the bead and tack with Zap-a-gap
    2) Dress the hook about 1/3 of the way back, then tie in the silver wire with about 6 wraps.
    3) Now tie in the Flexifloss and as you wrap back towards the rear of the hook, start to pull it so it necks down. This gives the body a nice abdomen and a thinner tail.
    4) Wrap the thread tightly until you are starting down the bend of the hook towards the point, then wrap back to just below the bead.
    5) Wrap the Flexifloss towards the front, starting very tight and gradually lightening up, then tie off and trim. Be carefull, since if you pull the floss too tight, it can snap back out of the tie down.
    6) Reverse wrap the silver wire using a wide gap between wraps (4 or 5 wraps should do it), then tie off.
    7) At this point, I add 3 or 4 half hitches and put a drop of head cement over the hitches.
    8)The last step is to tie in the ostrich herl just below the bead. 3 or 4 wraps in place will do the job. Finish with 5 whip finish wraps.

I used this pattern last year with UNBELIEVABLE success. Fish it with a strike indicator and hang on. Hope it works for you too!
    :professor