Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Favorite Fiberglass Rod

17K views 68 replies 27 participants last post by  10incher 
#1 · (Edited)
#31 ·
I have a 9'6" 8/9wt 2pc Lamiglas rod built by John Propp of Spokane in 1978 for my late father in law. I have only lawn cast it, I can't be sure if it has ever been on the water as it shows no signs of use. Mr Propp must have been a prolific rod builder as this is # 118. It is dark grey, almost black. I am assuming it is fiberglass. Anyone know of Mr Propp and his fly rods?

#34 ·
Not on the lower Stilly in late summer, early fall. For the most part I'm only casting 50 feet and a lot less. 40 to 50 foot casts are pretty much the max. That lower river is easy wading for the most part. In fact during back to back dry years which we haven't had for quite some time you could start at Silvana and wade down to Tom Robbs farm when down on the Norman Road. I knew one guy who claimed he could wade from Silvana down to the the bridge to warm beach. But he was a lot taller than me.

#37 ·
Pictured are two of my favorite glass sticks. Both are 6'6" from Phillipson. The one on the left is a Johnson Profile which I bought in 1964. The slide band insert was originally cork but it got pretty beat up so I replaced it with a piece of walnut from a branch that fell into our yard. The rod on the right is a more recent purchase from maybe '91 or '92 I can't remember.

Attachments

#38 ·
I like a couple of my old 6.5ft Wright & McGill Featherlights best.
Salmon-like fish Fish Terrestrial plant Oncorhynchus Ray-finned fish
Plant community Ecoregion Water Natural environment Natural landscape

#40 ·
I'll roll with my home built Lami FL904-3 (3pc 7.5ft 4wt). All cork grip and seat. Cut and polished my own seat components from aluminum tubing. I used single foot guides and there is no frivolity in the wraps. Not skimpy, but no more than needed. Because I didn't use snakes, which add rigidity to the action, the rod is a slow. It won't take an award for overhead distance but it will flip twenty five feet of DT4 line anywhere you want it to go. And it'll roll cast fifty feet and turn over a wooly bugger (not exaggerating). Just the bomb on brushy, small streams. Best of all, with careful build fits and no nonsense design the finished rod weighs only 1.85oz. I defy anyone to show me a 7.5' 4wt that light. Sorry I don't have pics. As mentioned, it's really a no nonsense rod anyway. So pics wouldn't dazzle. But on the water it's a star.

#41 ·
I think we should have a glass get together sometime. I'd host at my place (north Seattle) if people were interested. There is a roomy park directly across the street where we could BBQ, covertly drink some cold ones and have a fiberglass rod show and tell.

#43 ·
I think we should have a glass get together sometime. I'd host at my place (north Seattle) if people were interested. There is a roomy park directly across the street where we could BBQ, covertly drink some cold ones and have a fiberglass rod show and tell.
Great idea. My Summer schedule is pretty full but after Labor Day things settle down quite a bit.

#44 ·
As we get closer we can plan something out. I'll make apple empanadas, which might be enough to entice Jack Devlin to come to this side of the water. Hopefully we can get Lugan and tonemike too as they are huge glass heads.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

Reactions: Jack Devlin
#45 ·
I'm out of town the weekend after labor day for my birthday camping/fishing trip to Mt. Rainier but the next weekend would work for me. Call it Saturday September 14. I'll follow up later on, but I'm going to plan for that. Anyone is invited, but there will be a bring a minimum of 1 fiberglass rod entrance fee :D

#46 ·
Anyone is invited, but there will be a bring a minimum of 1 fiberglass rod entrance fee :D
That's good. Because I only have the one glass rod right now. I've made four but the one I have was getting all the use. So I gave the others to friends and family. Two have only been used a couple of times. Most folks are more interested in catching than fishing.

The other three were made from rouge Conolon blanks that I bought cheap at a weird sort of fishing DIY salvage store that only had it's doors open for a short while. Nice idea, small demographic. Those rods were nice enough, but my Lami is better on the small stream I was using it on (see avatar). This gathering is exciting for me because I'd like to see what others have done with available blanks. I want to build a faster action rod and this could be a chance to debut the options and meet others of like interest. Oh, And I've never had my hands on a vintage Fenwick Feralite. With this kind of gathering, who knows?

#50 ·
How about guys who aren't exactly glass heads but are interested in casting some quality glass to discover more about what glass has to offer. Can we come too?

TC

#56 ·
I'm a host by nature. I like holding gatherings and making a meal for friends and soon to be friends. That is what I had in mind, but we can definitely just meet up and hang out.

As for me, I have 1 old glass rod at the moment and hopefully I'll be done building 1 and refurbishing another by then.

#59 ·
I'm a host by nature. I like holding gatherings and making a meal for friends and soon to be friends.
Just offering to host is generous. I thought I might suggest a pot luck kind of thing. Even if you like it, it's expensive to make food for five or ten people. I also like to cook. My wife and I use to run a small restaurant. Small as in we were the only employees. Most fun I ever had losing money ;)

#57 ·
I may have a steelhead camp around the 14th. But if I'm able to make it I'll bring a few Fenwicks in 6 through 10.

#60 ·
I make cheap food that turns out deliciously ;) I don't get fancy like Jerry D, but I can hold my own. We'll see how the numbers shake out. If it is going to be 15 people, I probably won't cook a full meal for everyone, but 10 or less than I'm good with.

#66 ·
Favorite rod??? That's like asking me which one of my children I love more. I have 5 or 6 glass rods, 6 or 7 bamboo rods and more graphite than my wife needs to know about. I fish and enjoy each and everyone of them. It all depends on the size of fish, type of water and if I am in a boat or not. And I can't forget my mood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.