Favorite flies for winter steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by John Hicks, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Steelhead will bite just about anything... finding them is the hard part.

2. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Heres a fly I tied named after my second daughter.
    Its called the "Leah Marabou 1105" . Made to graze the bottom of deep pools 5' or deeper for them stubborn Giant winter Steelies.

This version is tied with green eyes after my daughter.

3. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Beautiful fly, mind tying me up a dozen or so and giving them to me on the house? just kidding. Pretty fly though.

4. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Believe it or not Tippet2 your tied flies probably stand more of a chance on catching fish than store bought. I have found some of the worst flies I have tied do Great! and little stone is right you could probably tear a piece of your shirt off and use that on the hook and it will probably work. but Heck man half of the fun is tying up that bizaare looking fly to see if it actually works what a kick that is!!:D

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I believe in a big selection. My own ranges from classics like the Brad's Brat (my Hoh River top fly), spun marabous, the good old Comet, McCullough for low clear water, or any of the many good rabbit strip and marabou leeches. For summer fishing I always have a few Bulkley Mouse skaters at the ready. I do not employ extremely heavily weighted flies as I do not subscribe to the belief that a fly has to be bouncing bottom to attract a steelhead, even a winter steelhead. Like Leland, I have my steelhead box jammed with flies as I do believe in selection, selection, selection because we never know what fly might provoke a steelhead into a strike.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I like Leland's idea. Open your fly box and use what falls out.

Jim

7. Raven

Raven New Member

If you believe in all the flies in your box then let the fates choose your fly.

Leland.

8. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey Leland: You working with Les again these days?

9. Raven

Raven New Member

Yes, I am. In fact we were just talking about this thread.

Leland.

10. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Wow, everyone has a lot of input on what works and so far I see that everything works if fished right to the right spot at the exact right time under the right light with your mouth held just right. So with all of that said this is my go to fly. I haven't fished it yet but this winter it is going to get a lot of use. :beer1:

John Hicks

11. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Now I like Lelands scientific approch much better than just trusting to luck!

12. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Good Luck Leland - all I've ever seen fall out of your box are chartreuse poppers. ;)

13. hatenot2fish

hatenot2fish New Member

I fish 2 or 3 flies all winter....Black boss with either an orange or red schlappen collar, bunny leeches of various colors articulated or not and liquifilled woolie buggers (I get the pattern and matterial from Bjorn at The Fly Fisher in Lacey)....
    I feel the most confidence with the liquifilled flies mainly because I like tying them the most I think but they catch fish like no ones business and that works for me......I prefer not to fish small flies though because I believe that Steelhead and Salmon are territorial and that anything that comes along and threatens to take there spot behind a nice rock or wherever is most likely gonna get popped....:ray1:

Darrin <><

14. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

My bosses use marabou jigs to absolutely murder everything from chinook to pinks to src to steelhead, and those things are more simple than any fly I've seen. It's just a chunk of marabou tied to a jighead. I'm gonna just try the flesh fly in various colors, and use lead-free split shot.

15. Davy

Davy Active Member

this one works sometimes, GP variation

Attached Files:

16. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

John,
    Nice fly!

The only point I'd empasize about this conversation is that you'll also want some large flies (2-2/0) if/when the Olympic Peninsula rivers are a little "steelhead green" and the visibility isn't the greatest. The "popsicle" and/or "spun maribou" patterns in purple, black, (or purple/black) orange/white, orange, cerise, and other combinations will come in handy. Mostly you're just trying to give the fish something it can see and something that has movement that will entice a strike.

If you want to get fancy, as mentieonved previously, try tying some s'ey flies. Check out John Shewey's "Spey flies and Dee flies". It's an excellent reference if you want to head down that path.

17. Steve Buckner

Beautiful Fly Davy!

18. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

:thumb: How does this popsicle look?

19. Steve Buckner

Nicely done. ptyd

I've been using the Gamakatsu T10-6H series for all of my flies for the past 3-4 years. Without question, they are the best hooks I've found for steelhead/salmon/sea-run cutthroat. As you may be aware, you can get them in a variety of colors. The metal on these hooks keep them sharp, I'm always amazed at how sharp the hooks stays after some pretty good abuse on the bottom. The metal also sharpens a dulled hook right back into shape.

20. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Sniff, sniff... What's that on your nose John? Oh, it's Steve's ass! :) Stop sucking up to the man! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: