Favorite flies for winter steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by John Hicks, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Now that's funny I don't care who you are!!! ptyd

2. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

:eek: James is just jealous that I have a bigger pole than he does. Pure pole envy I tell ya. :rofl:

3. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

I'd say talk to Julia, but that would be bad, it might cause a bit of internet envy ;) Also, personally I don't care if your pole is bigger... at least I know where mines been! (Hint when you get your new rod, don't smell the butt end) :)

PS That was a really nice popsicle. In the time you've tied a bunch of nice flies, I've got 2 shrimp, an egg sucking leach, and a purple bugger... *NONE* of them look nearly as nice as that popsicle ;) BTW, I heard that Steve and Triggs both really like glo bugs... Make sure you tie LOTS of those!

4. John Hicks

I picked up a brand new pack of treble hooks and a spool of 60lbs test. I've decided that fly fishing is just too difficult. I'm going to just dredge the pools for steels with about four trebles tied on the 60lb mono.

;)

5. Steve Buckner

You're going to want to use an extremely fast retrieve...:p :p :p

6. Monk

Monk Redneck

From my days in Eastern Europe, I got into tube flies and I love them. I get more positive hook-ups with the hooks trailing further back and I can pick and choose my hooks as well. Plus, it turns out to be cheaper in the long run. My $.02

7. John Hicks

iagree Or if that fails I picked up a couple sticks of dynomite from the local quarry. The redneck in the travel trailer said that they are better than any fishing outfit out there. :p

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Don't forget the spark plug for the weight.

Jim

9. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Steve you and I had this conversation on the Queets last year. Where can I buy these hooks? Most Seattle area shops carry the T10-6H in funky colors -red, blue etc, but stock the Tiemco 7999 and AJ spey for the most part, which use a poor grade metal. I want to find some gamakatsus in good ol' black or that gunmetal gray color they make... Ironically they are cheaper too.

Gotta love those AJ Spey hooks for aesthetics but as has been mentioned the fish probably don't care.

ChrisW

10. Steve Buckner

I've been able to get them from time to time at Bob's Sporting Goods in Longview. They'll also order them for me. The other place I've purchased them is at the Morning Hatch in Tacoma, they've had the best selection and I'm sure they'd be happy to order anything you'd want. These hooks do get pricey.

11. Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis New Member

Angler's Workshop (Woodland) lists the T10-6H in both black/nickle and red.
    Guess I ought to try them, as they seem a lot cheaper than what I bought the other day.

12. Davy

Davy Active Member

Sure wish McNeese would get his differences solved with Gama and get his Blue Heron hooks on the market, supposedly they will be of the same Gama strength.