Favorite flies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wbugger, Oct 7, 2001.

1. wbugger

wbugger Member

Just curious what some of you out there consider as your favorite flies (your "go to flies" if you will). Here's some of mine:

favorite dry: parachute adams sizes 12-20 (elk hair caddis close second along with stimulator)

favorite nymph: gold-ribbed bead head hare's ear sizes 12-16 (bh prince is a very close second)

favorite streamer: olive wooly bugger sizes 2-6

favorite terrestial: hopper (cast tight along a grassy bank and give a couple of twitches then hold on tight)

favorite SRC fly: sculpin pattern (candlefish pattern pretty close second)

favorite salmon/all purpose saltwater fly: clouser minnow tied with white angel hair and a peacock herl back

those are a few of mine. I hope to get a good response to this message. I'm always interested in hearing what other people have success using. I'm also interested in hearing some patterns that maybe I haven't heard before. I tie my own flies so I like to experiment every once in a while.

wbugger

2. guest

guest Guest

I try to tie my own but some times they don't look very good. I shake too much. But I tied up a elk hair caddis this summer that worked very good for a while. I used a off yellow antron yarn for the body and everything else basic. size 12-14. They worked very well in the upper Sauk and S/Fork of the Stilly. I haven't been back to the Yakima since last May. Jim S.;)

3. vpons

vpons New Member

My favourite fly is a bead head hare's ear (size 4-20 and smaller). I use them for trout, salmon, steelhead, for everything that swims. I don't use dry flies, rarely streamers and wet flies, I'm a big nymph fanatic.
    Vincent

4. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Dry: Gulper Special

Nymph: Carey Special, black

SRCs: Reverse spider, black

5. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

I'm not sure what favorite means. Favorite to fish, or the one I think will catch the most fish? All things being equal, I'd like to always fish a big foam-bodied dry that will float all day, fit on a 3x tippit, I can see in glare or dark, and makes fish chase it across the surface. But I don't know if I'd call a chernobyl ant my go-to fly on the Yakima. Adult damsels draw amazing takes and create the most exciting stillwater fishing you could ask for, but they're only good a few weeks a year. I think it's a lot cooler to catch a coho on an anotomically correct candlefish pattern, but I know I'll get more with a pink and white clouser.

That said, the flies below represent what I've learned to never leave home without. They're not always the first out of the box, but if the going gets tough (or the other guy in the boat gets a fish before I do), they're generally the last.

Dry: Parachute Adams, hands down.

Nymph: Bead-head peacock & partridge soft hackle.

Streamer: Woolly Bugger (what else?).

SRC: (freshwater) Spruce; (salt) marabou sculpin.

Saltwater salmon: Chatreuse and white Clouser.

6. flyflyaway

flyflyaway Member

Media:
    Can anyone post their favorite sculpin pattern recipe, or a link to a sculpin recipe preferably w/ a picture?

BTW, here's mine:

Dry - Parachute Adams/Caddis (no, that's not a new pattern, it's a tie between them) :p

Nymph - BH Prince

SRC - Spider (Carey Special) lots of color variations. Some bead, some no bead....

Salt - Clouser, various colors.

7. fred

fred Member

Here are my favorites

Dry: Olive stimulator, Parachute Adams, Elk Hair Caddis

Nymph: BH Prince, BH Zug Bug

Terrestrial: Hopper

8. Flyfisher Frank

Flyfisher Frank New Member

Fred, Hi! Have to agree with what Ray says about favorites, but with a little tweek. Favorite to me means the one I've caught the most fish with at the end of a trip. Some are retired gratefully and permenantly after a hard day of attracting fish. I've got a couple that are in the over 30 fish bracket. Belive me they hardly resemble what they were intended to be when I tied them. Other flies/reasons.
    Dry: Rubber leg Elk stimulator - cause they're funny
    Streamer: Blk wooly bugger - because I caught my first fish on it
    Nymph: Dark brown prince - because it's the only one I've fished
    Chums: Chum candy -cause it works and I've got lots(of the flies)
    Later-Flyfisher Frank

9. Robin

Robin New Member

Being new to this area, I still hold in my heart those flies that have been the most productive for me back in the Rocky Mtns.
    However, I am quickly learning that- it isn't the same here, even though the trout feed the same here as they do at home.
    My all time personal favorite- caddis pupae, because I have caught so many fish on them, everywhere I have fished, and the fact that they have such a variety of great patterns for most all water conditions-from the sparkle caddis to the scintillator, simply awesome.
    Now, the flies, I won't leave home without:
    1. Parachute adams 8-22 or anything that I can turn into a parchute, caddis, ant, hopper, and now an extended body (drake) style that I have been experimenting with for a while now is proving to be very productive for me, both lakes, spring creeks and rivers, especially fast water in the larger 8-10-12 sizes, any time of year I might add).
    2. Chironomids from midges - brassies, of multiple colors and weights, and sizes.
    3.Sparkle caddis, and scintillator caddis pupae in a huge variety of colors.The scintillator tied on tmc 101 hooks, and per the recipe in Flies of the Northwest. This fly is very productive, it stays right where you want it and underwater is impossible for fish to pass up, because of the irridescent bead creating the bubble of trapped air, and in any color you need per the conditions.
    4.Lightening bug & pheasant tail nymphs many sizes and colors.
    5.Stone flies, from dries to nymphs, all along the way, I have found the dull colors often take more than those perfect ones tied for my visual appreciation.
    6. Various shrimp and scud patterns.
    7.It wouldn't be complete with out the wooly buggers array.

I am trying to improve my tying skills and would like to hear about new and effective patterns others in this area like to tie, and enjoy hearing about them. I have recently been afflicted with the steelhead fever, so have been tying many of the patterns - so anyone who has the perfect steelhead pattern I would like to hear about it. As well, a website that many go for more info on steelies.
    Robin

10. jdhill

jdhill New Member

Being the owner of a mail-order fly business, I have access to over 500 patterns. This question made me think hard about what flies are my favorites.

Lake fishing: A good damsel pattern for underneath and gray CDC Klinkhammer for the surface.

River fishing:
    Dry: A tie between a parachute pheasant tail or gray CDC Klinkhammers
    Nymph: B.H. prince (copper john coming in a close second)
    Emerger: Sprout design emerger like baetis, callibaetis, PMD, adams
    Streamer: Conehead Spruce
    Terrestrial: Kingfisher Hopper