Favorite Fly Box

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by BackwoodBows, Jul 26, 2014.

1. BackwoodBows

BackwoodBows New Member

Needing a new box for my big stonefly and terrestrial patterns my MFC River Camo box is not working. Looking for a box that is designed for bigger flies so they are not so smashed together. Any suggestions? Looking to stay under $25

2. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

3. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Morell or lighter, if they make one!

4. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

go buy a Plano pistol case, take out the foam that's in there. Either pick up craft foam from Walmart (the kind that one side is sticky--normally, I wouldn't direct anyone to Walmart, but it's the only place I've found it locally--the kind with one side that's sticky), stick 2-3layers (depending on the size of flies you want to put in), take an x acto (sp?) knife & make slits the entire length of the box pretty close together (depending on the size of flies you want to put in there), there you have it, a "guide box" that'll cost you around $10.

something like this:
    [​IMG]

you can also use any other large Plano box...work great.
    [​IMG]

note: my slits are a little wide for small flies, but you get the idea.

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I have several boxes of varying styles. Each has its pros and cons. Of late, I'm finding these stout flip top cans to work quite well as I can cram a ton of flies of a particular type pattern in them and they don't take up a ton of room. I also have started using the clear plastic/screw top jars used by pharmacy's.
    IMG_7072.JPG

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

This is to neat. I hate neat. Mess it up a little.

Randall Clark likes this.
  7. BackwoodBows

BackwoodBows New Member

8. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

Check out the Cliff outdoor boxes....I am addicted to the

9. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

ha! those are just for storage boxes, by on-stream boxes look nothing like that, trust me.

10. Preston

Preston Active Member

For many years I've used plain old clear Plano plastic boxes of various sizes and compartment configurations. I have never felt any compulsion about having my flies carefully lined up in parade formation and have never had a problem with just tossing flies of matching size and pattern into the into the various compartments or being able to select the one I want from the pile.