favorite fly of the year???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I know most ppl have a favorite fly, I know I do. But this year I also had a fly that did really well for me. It was my go to fly. It just seemed like when nothing was working I could tie one of these on and get some action. It was a fly that I normally don't use or for that matter have never had much luck with it. It was a royal wulff. I just seemed to land fish when I put this on. So now my question to all of you is what was your go to fly this summer, one that you wouldn't call your favorite but seemed to work really well for you this year?
  2. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    #14 ELC
    Had a great year on the small water.
    Eric Denny likes this.
  3. garretcarden New Member

spokane, wa
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Yellow stimulator for me, all though I did catch a lot of fish this spring on a parachute adams.
    Eric Denny likes this.
  4. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Nightcrawlers
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    Ratings: +86 / 1
    Wooly bugger. I prefer fishing dry flies but the wooly bugger was the fly that brought in the 'big' fish at the small creeks I fished this summer
    Eric Denny likes this.
  6. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    +1 for #14 EHC, but i think my favorite fly to fish this year was a swung crane fly
  7. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +296 / 0
    WB for the wet fly action and a parachute adams for dry fly action.
  8. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Charteuse over hot pink clouser
    Jason Rolfe and mtskibum16 like this.
  9. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    photo.JPG

That's some bunny tied to a hook. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother tying it at the head. As well as it works I could just cut some hide and hook it like a worm.
  10. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +424 / 0
    Come on man! Seriously?!!!

I'd pick bacon scented Power Bait over that any day of the week. Dude.... "nightcrawlers", sheesh.
  11. Evan Virnoche Guest

how about bacon wrapped nightcrawlers?
    garretcarden likes this.
  12. DoSer I smell Cheese

Errg... Denver
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    MMMM..... Bacon!
  13. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +424 / 0
    Hmm,... Now you have my attention...

In all seriousness to the original question, I have a question:

What are we fishing for (trout - browns, bulls, cutties, rainbows), where are we fishing (lake, stream/river), what is the weather like (cloudy, partly, clear), and how desperate am I to catch a fish (am I fishing for #'s, really big ones, or do I just want to make sure that there's even a fish where I'm at)?

Sorry to over complicate it, but I think these all come into play. So I had several favorites, for each type of fish, in certain places, when the weather was a certain way.

Trying to assume the conditions where you were at, catching fish on a Royal Wulff, I would have gone to a big stim or ant. Those two in sumer time (mid to late), work well for me....or Power Bait.
  14. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    #12 Olive Stimmy with rubber leggs *Dipped in Bacon grease* ;)

DSCN2234.JPG DSCN2244.JPG
    Jslo and BASS_TURDS like this.
  15. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +213 / 0
    Mine too!
  16. Evan Virnoche Guest

Thom Collins likes this.
  17. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +435 / 0
    Last June at Chopaka I encountered (not for the first time) hordes of damsel adults hovering over the water. The fish were jumping right out of the water after them but would completely ignore a damsel adult imitation fished on the surface. While changing locations, I noticed all of the tenerals hanging on the reeds and cattail stalks and thought it might be worth a try (I've carried a few teneral patterns for years but only rarely used them).

The teneral is the just-emerged adult form of the damselfly and has not yet developed its fully mature coloring or form. Its color is usually tan, pale olive or pale gray, its abdomen is thicker and shorter than it will become, its wings are translucent and it is, as yet, a poor flier. It hangs vertically on its perch and is easily knocked off to fall to the water.

It wasn't a slam-dunk but it turned an exercise in futility to a good day's fishing. I tie the abdomen of 50-pound braided monofilament and the thorax and head of 1/8" Rainy's foam parchute post (both colored with a Pantone pen). The eyes are of melted 100-pound mono and the wing is dun hackle. DSCF0073.JPG IMG_0873.JPG
    Jeff Dodd and David Loy like this.
  18. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,143 / 4
    Pink over white clouser has been my go to this year.
  19. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Red white and blue /pearl flashabou grizz hackle flat wing on a #4 stainless umpqua hook, and elk hair caddis.
  20. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 2
    Can't pick 1 fly. Lots of species get angled for over the course of a year.