NFR Favorite Ipa (preferably Wa, Mt, Id, Or)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DennisE, Apr 18, 2012.

1. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

I'm pretty picky with my IPAs. I'll TRY almost anything saying it's an IPA, but I only repeat on ones that fit my criteria, those being:
    hoppy bite, relatively heavy texture and a STRONG citrus (i. e. - grapefruit) flavor.

The first one I ever tried was like that (What is this, Grapefruit beer? was my question to the Rogue brewpub bartender as I ordered another).
    Right now there are 2 at the top of my list:
    1. Pyramid Outburst Imperial IPA. This was a seasonal last year, but is now year round. It's also 8.5 % :confused:
    2. Big Sky IPA. Hard to find around here but worth the stop as you go through Missoula, and you can get 4 samples free.

I know for some beer snobs, Pyramid is sort of a dirty word, but I let my taste buds do the talking.

Oh, and for when the extra $2 a six-pack is a deal breaker, Henry Weinhard's IPA is drinkable.

2. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

By far, big sky.... The albertsons down by me has one or two kinds of big sky at a time in cans, it rotates. If I recall correct, if you look on the big sky website, you can search for dealers/ distributers around you. Specialty beer places always have it too, I'm lucky to have 4 within my area

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Lagunitas IPA is the most "grapefruity" I've had recently. Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' is a good one as well.

4. shawn k

shawn k Member

Racer 5 from Bear republic and hop rod rye from the same.

5. DennisE

Took Lagunitas to my local fly shop yeterday. It has more of a Hop flower flavor. Kind of like fresh hops crushed under your nose. I like it for a change, but not as regular fare.
    A couple of other good choices are Pt. Townsend Hop Diggity and Seven Seas Ballz Deep.

6. quazman

quazman Member

Ninkasi IPA is at the top of my list right now. A little pricey so I tend to stock up when I find it on sale.

7. ribka

ribka Active Member

Pelican

and I like to home brew

Brewing up an IPA now. Should be ready in about 3 weeks

8. Salmo_Gairdneri

Salmo_Gairdneri Another Fly Fisher

A lot of good beers mentioned here. A suggestion - if you are talking about bottled beer. Go get a selection and do a taste test. My wife and i do that every now and again. No better way than to line up a bunch and taste them.

For every day IPA, we tend toward Pyramid THunderhead.

-S

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

Seattle Times had article on one of the most sought after IPA...'Pliny the Young' from Russian River Brewing. Never tried but interesting to read how it's a seasonal and many people chase it down....it doesnt last long

Some good IPA's I have tried...on tap (not bottled) ...big difference!!!!
    Boundary Bay
    Diamond Knot
    Pike
    Anderson Valley

10. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

11. DennisE

done the taste test also. It was a fun evening with about 6 people. While my son like's IPAs, he reached his hoppy limit with the PT Hop Diggity. :)

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  12. Why "Preferably Wa, Mt, Id, Or"? Notice most of the reply,s right now are CA for what you are looking for. Stop at boundary bay every time I visit the folks and like their IPA but the Pliny the elder from russian river CA is my favorite right now.. Laquinatis, CA, makes some of the best cascade hoppy beers I've had IPA or not..

Russell

13. Jake Dixon

Jake Dixon Member

The Caldera IPA (OR) is mighty fine. The Double Jack from Firestone is excellent. Really like the 77 Session IPA from Fremont as well.

The Double Haul IPA is another favorite.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

IPA is one of my least favorite styles overall. But I find this one in particular to be extremely well done.

[​IMG]

Matt Smith likes this.
  15. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

Ditto on Workhorse for regional. Others that are wonderful (and regional) include Laughing Dog IPA (Ponderay, ID), Fremont Interurban, Two Beers IPA, Georgetown Lucille IPA, Coalition Brewing Two Dogs IPA (PDX), Terminal Gravity IPA (OR), Caldera, and Oakshire Watershed IPA (OR). Working in a pub has it's perks eh?

For non-regional, another vote here for Anderson Valley Hop Ottin IPA (CA), Bear Republic Racer 5 (CA), Stone IPA (CA), and Lagunitas IPA.

Big Sky is okay to me. Don't get me wrong, the best Montana brews that I've had, but their IPA doesn't do it for me, nor does Moose Drool. I like their Pale though and the Wheat Beer is decent for a hot day on the water. I'm really into canned craft brews though. I love to be able to take a good, drinkable craft beer out on my float tube or on a day hike/fishing trip. Some faves for that are 21st Amendment Bitter American, Two Beers ISA + IPA, Caldera Pale and IPA, and Dales Pale Ale.

16. DennisE

You can get the Seven Seas in 16 oz. cans. Their British Pale is a pretty good non-IPA.

17. Theron

Theron Active Member

Pliney The Elder

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I just looked up the letter IPA and there are so many different meanings for those letters you can't imagine. I believe that people can't talk with out a few Acronyms thrown into their sentences to confuse us old people.

I know this post isn't about beer but I had to throw it out there.

Now I'm going to have to print out that sheet about Acronyms so I can understand what in the hell everybody is saying about nothing.

19. Wilken

Wilken Member

Green Flash West Coast IPA
    Midnight Sun Sockeye Red IPA
    Elysian Prometheus IPA

Collin's Pub at the bottom of the Smith Tower in Seattle is an excellent pub if you are into trying new IPAs or craft beers in general for that matter.

20. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Lyons brewing in Colorado. Dales Devil Ale