NFR Favorite Ipa (preferably Wa, Mt, Id, Or)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DennisE, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Clarki

Clarki I'd rather be reading water

I was lucky enough to try some of Matthew Gulbransen's April Fools IPA this past weekend, WOW, freaking amazing. Next in line is Boneyard IPA (only available by the keg) best citrus aroma out there.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Budweiser has been a lager from day 1. Annheiser Busch was started by german immigrants to the US, and they were very opposed to brewing ales. IPA's of that time were exclusively a British thing.

The only reason Bud brands are the best selling in the USA (though their sales are on a steady decline as the craft beer movement grows), is because they were one of the only brewing companies in the country for almost half a century, as the barriers to entry to the market were impossible from prohibition until the 80s. So, they had that long to make the American people think beer was supposed to taste like shit. The "light" beer thing started during the war years while the men were overseas. They were trying to market to women.

/pointless history lesson

aplTyler likes this.
  3. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    If you need an IPA just to get through the day and have a good time then something is wrong with you....;)(just a stab at the ridiculous comments on the tokin fly guy thread)

Here on this side of the country I'm lucky enough to have Great Lakes Commodore Perry available, along with a ton of other great local brews from right here in Cleveland. As far as west coast ones, I like the Stone Ruination, Lagunitas, and the yearly editions of Sierras Harvest Ales are always awesome.

aplTyler likes this.
  4. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    I'm not a hop head but when I'm in the mood, I like Bridgeport IPA. Adequately hopped but not too over the top. A close second Diamond Knot IPA is more of a mouthful but it's very pleasantly balanced that you hardly notice.

5. Theron

Theron Active Member

Budweiser is one of those beers brewed for people who really don't like the taste of beer. The West Coast has so many beers it is hard to decide what to try next. I always look forward to my visits and a chance to try out some really great beers. Last visit I found a place on Whidbey Island that claimed to have 600 beers in stock. Left there with my wallet considerable lighter.

6. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do.....". It's usually a pilsner.

7. Preston

Preston Active Member

Gee, a brain fart. I meant lupulin, not humulin, probably the result of having downed a couple of Mongoose IPAs. As noted above, IPA stands for India Pale Ale, not Imperial. Yes, Budweiser started out as a typical Czech-style pilsner, even the name (and maybe the recipe ?) was borrowed from the town of Budweis. How it ever came to include such un-beerlike ingredients as rice is anyone's guess.

8. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
  9. Bad-Daddio

Bad-Daddio Member

Has anyone seen the documentary - "Beer Wars"? Anyone who enjoys beer should watch it. Fascinating story about craft beers trying to gain entry into a market that's absolutely dominated by Bud and Miller. Its available on Netflix.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    It's somewhat interesting, but painfully boring.

I think the best part of it, though, was the blind taste test with all the loyal bud, miller, or coors drinkers. None of them could pick out their "preferred" brand in the taste test.

aplTyler likes this.
  11. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    Back Deck IPA is my current favorite, 7% ABV 62 IBUs with a Citra, Simcoe, and Amarillo blend of last minute boil additions to give a rich aroma and smooth fruity bitterness

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

I'll second the Freemont IPA and American Breakaway....couldn't remember the names but these two are fruity aroma and balanced with slight bitterness. I have not found a good bitter since the old Ballard Bitter and Full Sails' Equinox, both long gone.

Now to go opposite what are some of the worse IPA's .....I tried Deschutes Belgian IPA....not for me, has that funky bavarian wheat type taste. Fremont 77....IPA with 4.0% ABV....nah...rule of thumb IPA should have 6.0% or higher. Fremont 77 tasted like a light wheat beer...like the old pyramid wheaton ale....good, refreshing, but not an IPA!

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Too many to list. Most being from smaller batch breweries not available out of the taproom. But here are some of the more readily available ones:

Green Flash Imperial IPA: Tastes like stale onions and rotting leather
    Pyramid IPA: Couldn't handle more than a few sips of this trainwreck
    Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye: Just awful (and probably one of, if not the only beer from Sierra Nevada I haven't enjoyed)

Most overrated: Pliny the Elder. It used to be great. After Russian River moved to their new brewing facility, it lost that "something" that set it apart. Now, people line up at bottle shops to get theirs, and reach past superior IPA's just to buy in to what hype is still there.

14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    In my opinion IPAs are in the same category as novelty hot sauces.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hah, I've said similar things before. I definitely don't dislike IPA's, I just find malt to be a far more interesting forward flavor than excessive hops.

16. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

I prefer ESBs the most. I like the balance of hop and malt that they typically provide. My favorite(s) in that category are Mad River Jamaica Sunrise ESB, Coalition Brewing Bumps Bitter, Northern Lights Crystal Bitter, and Rogue Brutal Bitter...

Now for the low alcohol IPAs, I think they have their place (if done correctly). The Two Beers ISA (India Style Ale) has most of the hop forward flavor of an IPA but under 5% alcohol. It's a great beer to drink on the river (or lake) and not get too messed up with. Just good flavor but a bit easier to drink. I also dig the Georgetown Johnny Utah IPA. It's only 4% flat (legal in Utah... hence the name) and is surprisingly good, although perhaps overly floral/citrusy in flavor. Those two in particular are just interesting to me...

Now if only more bars would start carrying a good bitter instead of 3-4 IPAs at a time (the Pub I work at has had 3 bitters on draft in the last year (we have 14 taps) and at least 50 different IPAs). Rumor is that many brewers are getting bored of the IPA craze and are beginning to brew up more ESBs and other, slightly less "hip" varieties. I hope that's the truth, as I look forward to seeing my favorite type of beer more available, and in greater variety.

17. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Have you had Black Raven's "London Kawing?" That's the best I've had.

On the subject of Black Raven, their Wisdom Seeker is probably the best NW IPA next to Workhorse. It's just next to impossible to get your hands on it.

18. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

One of my personal favorites is Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. Super tasty. I like the Anderson Valley too. It's funny, I only really got into IPAs a few years ago. Before that--in about 7 years of good solid drinking--I could never really enjoy them. But now it is always my first choice.

19. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ohhh IPA's.

Favorite has to be Stone Brewing Ruination IPA. Sucker is quite hoppy. Ninkasi Total Dominaion IPA is another hoppy favorite that is easier to find and MUCH cheaper than Ruination. I also like their Tricerahops IPA.

20. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think I'll get a growler of Kulshan tonight and see how our newest brewery does it.

Go Red Sox,
    cds